Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help with turning volume of 'Background' noise down please

To me the background noise almost overwhelms the battlefield sounds in CMBB, especially when it is raining.

I don't want to miss out on either the great CMBB battlefield sounds, or the atmospheric background sounds, so ideally, can anyone advise me on how to lower the volume setting of the background noise only?

Yeah, I know I can shift-s but I want to keep some background noise just to keep me awake while waiting for my TCP opponent to finish his orders.

I really just wanted to know how to edit the volume of whatever .wav files the background noise is. I suppose I'll need to download software or is there something in Windoze that'll let me do it?

Thanks.

Guest Panzer Boxb

The Sound Recorder in the Windows Accessories group may be able to lower the overall volume level. Otherwise there are plent of WAV editors available for free on the Net.

OK, the corresponding wav-files for the ambient sounds are 00005000-00005007. You need some kind of wav-editor/sound program, usually that stuff comes with your soundcard. If you don't have any, a google-search for "wav editor" will show you some stuff for download. Simply open the wav-files, change the volume, save them into your CMBB/wav directory.

Hu?? The board ate my post. Strange...

Ok, 2nd try: Usually your soundcard comes with some wav-editors/sound programs that should allow you to edit the wav-files. The corresponding files are 00005000-00005007. Open them with the wav-editor, reduce the volume and save them again to your cmbb/wav directory.

If you don't have any wav-editor, a quick google search will show you some stuuf for download.

[edit: ok, first the post is gone, then i got wild error messages, now my post reappeared. Tsk tsk...]

[ October 04, 2002, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Can you point me in the direction of a good one? :cool:

You could always load it into Sound REcorder (assuming we are talking Windows users here) and use the 'decrease volume' command....

IF you want a little more control, I would say Goldwave. IT's easy to use and you don't have to be a sound engineer to get good results from it (it's shareware, but it's full featured in it's demo mode.... just makes you restart the app after a certain number of functions done). IT'll allow you to rest volume to.. say.. 80% and see if that works better (I wouldn't cut sound more than that each pass as you might cut too much and have to backtrack).

Blaine Whitney did a rain mod that takes out the thunder and just has the falling rain if that helps you out. You can get it on my site (link below) under "Blaine_Whitney_rain_sound_mod".

As an aside, I used SoundForge for modding the various explosions/sounds but that might be a bit overkill for you if you're only looking to lower the sound. Don't get my mods if that's the case, the sound is definitely not lowered. :D