OK I'll mention this now: Engine Rewrite

I just wanted to see how BB appealed to the Forum before I mention what follows.

I am in the " strategy" camp and am cheering for the CAMPAIGN game to "really work". I have read all the posts and believe the AI is still the same stupid sod as in 2001 ( a game oddity ha ha).

I have spoken to Steve about his before but I think it should again be considered. I think most of those like me want the possability of the full range of " battle situations"; the most problematic being encirclement.

Without wishing to bore the CM Forum most German attacks were to punch through all MLR's then gain freedom of movement behind enemy lines frequently resulting in containment or encirclement.

It is probably not possable for the AI to draw such perimiters but it IS possable for players to do so. What is needed therefore is some way humans can input data ( the perimiter) using perhaps 4 " templates". These would be easy mathematical shapes ( circle, oval, square, rectangle) to which maybe a JAVA tool could be installed but which the game engine would understand.

Even if the perimiter were simplified as long as a non- linear one resulted this would be an improvement. [ Consider putting your fingers into a cake and drawing the resulting fingers/ cake perimiter.]

If others can figure out what I am trying to say please respond. Also, Steve....... smile.gif

not sure if I understand what you are getting at.

first I thought you were clamoring for a decent strategic/campaign feature to be added to CM. fine with me.

but the rest of your post seems to suggest you are actually thinking of creating such an encirclement on the game map???

if that is what you are advocating then all i can say is you're totally out of scale. We are talking strategic moves. These encirclements were huge, and don't fit onto a CM map.

But still, I am not really sure what you mean. care to re-phrase?

Yes I agree the encilclements were huge but they were also done on a small scale as well.

The whole point IS that this should be represented on the map as the NEW perimiter. That is the map allows for encirclement.

---------------

| |

germans | Russians |

| | Geermans

| |

This is what I mean...

Are you talking about drawing a perimeter in Operations, the same way one had to do with the ASL historical modules? If there was some way for the human player to ajust forces and his perimeter, I think it would indeed be a move forward. My last operation saw troops routinely set up in open ground, padlocked, between battles and simply sitting in the open waiting to get gunned down. Some sort of refinement is definitely in order.