Changing Ammo for tanks?

Yes, except that your teeny little commander will not use real-world™ tactics, such as "pick and shovel" (one AP followed by one HE) against dug in troops.

Apart from anything else, things like that would help limited HE loadouts last longer. Being able to specify a ROF would help too.

Regards

JonS

[ April 23, 2002, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by Offwhite:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

Yes, except that your teeny little commander will not use real-world™ tactics, such as "pick and shovel" (one AP followed by one HE) against dug in troops.

Should it be obvious why this is an effective tactic? I'm missing something... :confused: </font>

Originally posted by Offwhite:

Should it be obvious why this is an effective tactic? I'm missing something... :confused:

Basically, what Brian said. The AP 'pick' breaks up the cover, then the HE 'shovel' moves it. The process was repeated until the position stopped resisting.

Brian - LOL on why 14th Army used the reverse approach smile.gif I suspect other armies used a similar technique ... for the same reason!

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Offwhite:

Should it be obvious why this is an effective tactic? I'm missing something... :confused:

Basically, what Brian said. The AP 'pick' breaks up the cover, then the HE 'shovel' moves it. The process was repeated until the position stopped resisting.

Brian - LOL on why 14th Army used the reverse approach smile.gif I suspect other armies used a similar technique ... for the same reason!</font>

Originally posted by Brian:

First round is a ranging shot, effectively and once "on", second round follows immediately.

Won't AP and HE (in most cases) have different trajectories? Or is this tactic meant to be used on short distances where this shouldn't be that much of a problem?

Both right! Award yourselves a coveted Gold Star or would one of you like a Hippo stamp? ;)

Its a shame this tactic is not available in CM. I'd like to be able to nominate what round to fire if I want. I definitly want to be able to stop my tanks from wasting inappropriate ammunition against the wrong targets. I've often had a tank run out of HE and keep firing AP at infantry targets in the open. :(

Originally posted by Kurtz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian:

First round is a ranging shot, effectively and once "on", second round follows immediately.

Won't AP and HE (in most cases) have different trajectories? Or is this tactic meant to be used on short distances where this shouldn't be that much of a problem?</font>

Hmm, the ammo type selection should ofcourse be available to the player thus overriding the tac AI when necessary. Then again most tanks are equipped with adequate MG's to deal with the infantry (to keep their heads down - eliminating them is another matter) as with many modern tanks which often simply carry very small amounts of ammunition well suited for anti-infantry fire. Thus using MG's and not the main weapon to suppress soft targets is prolly the solution offered by the game designers in order to save the main gun ammunition for a more "proper" use.

This ofcourse does not fully compensate for the firepower of the 105mm gun or even 75mm but hey, it is a game after all...

BTW, what's a trajectory? :D