Artillery on hidden enemy

Does anyone know if "off-Map" artillery has the same damaging effect on hidden (Symbol showing)enemy as it does on visible enemy.

Also, how about shelling an area where hidden symbol is NOT showing, but I suspect enemy is in the target area.

One other observation - I was shelling a Hidden rifle troop, a shell scored a direct hit on the symbol, after the dust cleared there was no sign of the enemy - Did I actually blow them up into tiny pieces ??

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does anyone know if "off-Map" artillery has the same damaging effect on hidden (Symbol showing)enemy as it does on visible enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, arty has the same effect on units whether in LOS or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, how about shelling an area where hidden symbol is NOT showing, but I suspect enemy is in the target area.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works in real life, works just as well in CM. Nothing more rewarding than bombarding an area blind, then watching several smoke pillars rising up thru the trees :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One other observation - I was shelling a Hidden rifle troop, a shell scored a direct hit on the symbol, after the dust cleared there was no sign of the enemy - Did I actually blow them up into tiny pieces ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The symbol represents the last known position of an enemy unit, so they could have moved before the rounds started falling.

You have to always remember that once you see those "hidden markers" it means that was where the enemy was last seen.

Now if you have them penned into a wood with good LOS all round the wood then open up with the Arty as you know they are truely in there and have not escaped.

But if it is a rather large wood and plenty of ways to move out of the kill zone without you seeing then don't waste your ammo.

The only way to see what if anything you killed is to send someone into the woods and have a look around or wait until the end when all will be revealed.

But as for damage as has been previously mentioned yes it hurts the same. As long as there is someone there to hurt.

;)

H

In a recent PBEM game I fired some 150 mm rockets at a patch of woods where I had seen some troops enter. I had not seen them leave and and had a unit maker on the edge of the woods. During the barrage (one of the rockets actually went where I wanted it to ;) ) some of the markers disappeared and my opponent mentioned that I had KO some teams.

What I am trying to say is that if the marker disappears and you don't see anything leave - then you got the 'bad guys'.

Cpl Carrot

Edited cause I can't spell

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]