Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Idea that might improve the graphics of CM and CMBB (HUGE PICS)

Originally posted by Priest:

I like what I see so far but will be honest, the vehicles look better but out place on the terrain.

I think this is mostly owing to the fact that the vehicle shadow rendered onto the terrain is ridiculously pale in CMBO! A darker shadow would help reducing the contrast between terrain and tank belly!

Regards,

Thomm

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that I love this thread! I am sure that whatever happens to this fine idea in the long run I will keep coming back and marvel at the eye-opening `before-after' screenshots.

Outstanding work, George-III!!!

Regards,

Thomm

commendable!

The concerns that this method makes the tanks look a bit cartoonish and Talonoft / SuddenStrike-esque, and that the contrast highlights the polygons and therefore makes the vehicles look edged (especially relevant for rounded surfaces) are valid but can probably be addressed by a refining of this idea.

For example, to avoid the stark contrast between the vertical side graphic and the brighter top graphic on vehicles where there is no sharp edge between these two areas, but a rounded soft edge (like Sherman hull top to sides), the darkening of the side ghraphics could start a little below and the transition could be done gradually, which would help with creating the rounded edge effect. I hope I could explain what I mean.

A very interesting idea, very commendable, and despite the objections voiced so far, it is clearly something worth mulling over (mull...mull...)

I think you are definitely on to something here George III. I agree with some who say the contrast may be a little too extreme, especially for the olive drab vehicles. However, I think this can be toned down while still lending a much more three-dimensional look to the models. Count me in as a supporter, excellent work!

Just to give you guys an update on whats going on.

I found a host for the mod, so I am going to work on it like a mad man this weekend and hopefully have something up early next week.

Also I made some changes based on the feedback I've gotton so far: I lightned the shadows a little bit (55% instead of 50%). I also fixed a problem with the horizontal surfaces - I forgot that I had rendered about 105% or 110% light on those as part of an experiment. (look at the Panther in the fog photo on the previous page, you can see the top of the hull is too bright) Unfortunatly all the screens you have seen so far had this extra light on the horizontal surfaces. After removing this and lightning the shadows a little it looks much better, not quite as much contrast as before. It looks very good with DD's terrain.

I'm at work right now, when I get home I will post a screen with the new values and you can see what I mean.

[ June 21, 2002, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: George-III ]

Originally posted by Heinz 25th PzReg:

Wicked idea! Now somebody please convert ALL CMBO mods to look like this.

smile.gif

Actually that's not so far-fetched. If somebody (you know, that mysterious Somebody who does all the hard parts) makes a list of the BMPs that need modification, it's easy to batch-process all of the images in Photo Shop... just do it once while recording an Action script, then tell PS to run the Action on all files in a given directory. Viola.