Band of Brothers

Hey Moonpie. There are 2 more called "Band 0f Brothers - D-Day" and "Band 0f Brothers - Foy" at scenario depot. The D-Day one is where they knock out a battery of axis 105s and is quite small and easy to win....but enjoyable. Just do what they did in the series and you will do fine.

The other "Foy" is the attack on Foy where "Foxhole" Norman loses his composure and Speirs takes over E Coy. I can't remember much about the scenario, but I think it may be very tough to win.

My favorite encounter in the Book / Series was the attack on 2 SS coys in Holland where Winters rushes up and shoots the sentry then followed by a platoon of troopers to shoot up them SS like sitting ducks. I don't think a scenario has been built to model this one. If it were the results would be different from Real Life I'm sure due to lack of axis surprise....maybe against the AI it could work.

Cheers,

Sarge

Originally posted by Sarge Saunders:

I don't think a scenario has been built to model this one. If it were the results would be different from Real Life I'm sure due to lack of axis surprise....maybe against the AI it could work.

Cheers,

Sarge

One of the hardest things to model in CM is the effect of surprise. Does making the units weary or exhausted help at all? Has anyone tested this?

Hey, I've started building a scenario depicting the events on the "island." This is the part of the book/movie where Sgt. Bob Houmann takes a patrol along the dike, and discovers Germans up top. After a quick firefight (where a couple of fellas are wounded, and the radio destroyed), they hightail it back to Winters company HQ to tell 'em the news.

Winters organizes a 15 man patrol, and heads back to the spot, not knowing that 2 companies of SS await him.

It IS a tough scenario to put together. But what I've done is just made a few linked scenarios, as the operation wasn't working for me.

First battle is short and sweet. Just find the germans, then retreat (and survive). Since you've only got a team of Paratroopers, you've got to be sneaky.

Second battle is an advance to contact with about 5 units. Winters HQ unit. and a squad of paratroopers. Two MMG's and a 60mm mortar team.

Awaiting them are a passle of SS troopers. But they are POORLY led (and I mean Poorly), and they are demoralized and tired.

Third battle is the race to cut off the german retreat, as they run back to the ferry crossing.

Have not even tested it yet, so I don't know if it'd even work.

Gpig

Gpig, That sounds pretty cool. Don't forget that both sides had artillery in the 2 SS coy fight. The Paratroopers called in the motherload on them SS chaps and IIRC the axis side had some TRPs up at the crossroads.

Come to think of it, it really calls for a larger map because another SS force overran 2nd battalion CP. I think that is why Winters was promoted afterwards to acting Battalion CO.

Maybe you could have a largish map and show the bigger picture of 2 battalions going at it. This would make it even more important for the 2 SS coy ambush to be successful.

Now to make the ambush work without the other player reacting in advance would be to make the troops exhausted. They were, after all, resting up to make the final push....

The Ambrose book / movie is probably not the best source for historical accuracy and it does not give much info about the larger battalion engagement but it is a good starting point.

Interesting stuff...

Cheers,

Sarge

Hey Sarge.

According to Ambrose's book, the Battalion CP was never actually overrun, but it WOULD have been had not Winters saved the day.

I don't know if Ambrose is right or not, and you may very well have it right. I just have no other information to go on except for Ambrose's book. :(

You are right about the map, and the 2nd SS company. The map I made up is about 2.5 km square. It's pretty big. Because Winter's talks specifically about the distances from E Coy CP and the windmill on the dike (where Houmann's patrol first contacts Germans).

The 2nd SS Company does not make an appearance (according to Ambrose) until AFTER Winter's springs his ambush/charge on the unsuspecting 1st SS company. They are already routed (the 1st company) when the 2nd company comes piling over the dike in full retreat, adding their forces to the already retreating 1st company. (This is getting confusing . . .) smile.gif

You are right about the artillery, as well. I forgot about Winter's calling in arty on the fleeing germans. Also, when they start pursuit of the Germans fleeing to the ferry landing, Ambrose says that German "zeroed in 88's" started falling at the crossroads on the dike. It was pretty bad for Easy company. That's where they suffered most of their casualties during the whole adventure. (According to Ambrose.)

Think I'll try and polish this one off, at least to test it.

I have a feeling, my version would only be playable versus the A.I..

But I like the idea of making it a larger engagement . ..

Gpig smile.gif

Yeah Gpig. The battalion CP was not overrun as far as I know. I gotta watch what I say with all those historians floating around the forum. ;)

Anyway, about the ambush: My first thought was to have the ambush start on turn 1. That means turn 1 is where Winters has the sentry (maybe a green sniper) in sight. This would give both the human player and the AI zero time to react. But since you want to simulate the patrol first, the exhausted idea might work. Thing with exhausted is that I don't think units can move at all. IIRC If this is true then they can't be routed to run away so maybe that won't work.

hmmmm....OK if they are conscripts (not unlikely IRL) and they are weary then they will be extremely slow to react, even for a human player. Probably take 90 seconds just to get in the direction of the attacking paratroopers and will rout about as easy as in real life.

At any rate. You may want a second opinion and if so, feel free to e-mail me the scenario. I haven't got time for a thorough playtesting, but I'd enjoy taking a look at it.

My e-mail is in my profile. :D

Sarge

[edited to say that I've got nothing against Ambrose as a historical source but his book is limited to Easy companies contribution that day. A larger battalion engagement should include bits of info one may find in other sources.....or just make up the rest and call it a semi-historical scenario. Fine by me!]

[edited again cause I saw your profile. Pixar rocks! My 2 year old daughter LOVES pixar DVDs. Been watching the likes of "Bug's Life" since darn near day one. Can't tell ya how may quiet moments it has given me to play CM. smile.gif ]

[ April 25, 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Sarge Saunders ]

Hee hee.

Glad you like our movies. I'm sure you'll be glad to know that our next movie (Finding Nemo) will be coming out next summer. It should provide another 1.5 hours of entertainment for your wee ones, while you play CM:BB. smile.gif

As for the BOB sceanario, I'll try and finish it up and send it your way. smile.gif

Gpig

• 1 month later...