Infantry tactics

Any pointers on how to use infantry properly?

Is is just a matter of ratio? I.e. 1:1 = slaughter on both sides, attack 3:1 or better (taking terrain into consideration) and you will do OK, better odds mean you will take few loses?

I had a whole platoon of U.S. infantry get slaughtered in CE in the space of one turn. I think what happened is that Germand and U.S. troops just bumped into each other, and because the Germans had heavy SMG squads, they just mowed down my troops in the woods at close quarter.

Any comments?

Pat

Your troops were noisy. I heard them coming in the previous turn and opted to set up an ambush and hit whatever would be coming. From my point of you, you simply walked into my kill zone one by one during the same 60 seconds. SMGs hurt bad within 40m especially if they get the first burst.

That is a good trick though, if you see them coming and have no predetermined objective, try setting-up a welcoming committee to cover a suspected point of entry. With an HQ ubit, setting up ambush markers works really well. Afterwards, use creep with one unit always in the lead.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I had a whole platoon of U.S. infantry get slaughtered in CE in the space of one turn. I think what happened is that German and U.S. troops just bumped into each other, and because the Germans had heavy SMG squads, they just mowed down my troops in the woods at close quarter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same thing happen the first time I played CE vs. the AI. Aside from you getting ambushed, you are correct about the SMG squads. Go check the firepower numbers for a US squad vs. the Heavy SMGs. At close range, you are dead. At longer range, the Germans are dead. With standard rifle squads, the US usually has an advantage because it has 12 men and semi-auto instead of bolt-action rifles. Once the German squad loses that LMG, they are really up a creek. None of this means you shouldn't gang up on them anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stefan:

Pat

Your troops were noisy. I heard them coming in the previous turn and opted to set up an ambush and hit whatever would be coming. From my point of you, you simply walked into my kill zone one by one during the same 60 seconds. SMGs hurt bad within 40m especially if they get the first burst.

That is a good trick though, if you see them coming and have no predetermined objective, try setting-up a welcoming committee to cover a suspected point of entry. With an HQ ubit, setting up ambush markers works really well. Afterwards, use creep with one unit always in the lead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee thanks Stef.

I see you finally bought a new modem, and you are now prowling on the forums... biggrin.gif