CmBI Scenario: Kohima Ridge

After reading a book on the Pacific Theater in WWII and a book specifically dealing with the entire Burma campaign, I have a couple of questions:

(1) How did you model Japanese fighting behavior since they tended to fight to the death?

(2) Later in the Burma campaign the Japanese tended to be low on ammo and arty, did you model this in the scenario?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BulletHead will most likely give you a better answer later, but from what he's told me about the setups, the Gerpanese forces are vets with the highest level of fanatacism. I've played through the scenerio 3 time and trust me, they fight to the death. I've seen squads lose well over half their men and continue fighting unfazed. When I played as the Gerpanese I can only think of one unit that actually panicked.

As for the ammo situation you'll have to wait for BulletHead.

curih

Urban Shocker said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>(1) How did you model Japanese fighting behavior since they tended to fight to the death?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like Alex said, I made them vets (which they historically were) and gave them the highest fanatic rating (all troops 50%). This seems to work rather well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>(2) Later in the Burma campaign the Japanese tended to be low on ammo and arty, did you model this in the scenario?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are low on arty in this scenario. They have only some 75mm and not many rounds per FO. This is due to them not being able to bring much with them here.

As for smallarms ammo, I have found no reference to any shortages there in this phase of the battle. I believe this was because 1) there were numerous bodies to rob; 2) Kohima was something of a supply dump and the Japanese captured most of it; and 3) during this encircled phase, Brit resupply was by airdrop and much of it landed in Japanese territory. IOW, the Japanese were either using stuff from their dead buddies or using Brit weapons and ammo.

Later, I plan on making another scenario on this same map modeling the later phase where the Brits were retaking the parts of Kohima Ridge they lost in the initial phase. At this point, the encirclement was broken so there were no more airdrops, and the Japanese weren't left in control of the area fought over, so scavaging no longer worked. In addition, they were very short on rations and disease-ridden. I plan to model the former by manually lowering the ammo count of each unit. The latter I will model by reducing the quality of the Gerpanese troops.

BTW, the 2nd phase is in the monsoon, so expect mud, fog, and/or rain smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.