Ground condition question...

After several QBs I started all had damp ground even though I chose warm/hot clear weather in the middle of summer, I started to wonder.

There is no place to select the ground conditions in the QB setup screens. Are ground conditions randomized even if weather is perfect in the middle of summer? This started to get annoying, since I wanted to play games in good tank country and weather.

Any insights on this? I figured ground conditions would be selectable just like the other weather factors.

Well, it gets more interesting.

I just ran over 20 test QBs.

Ten times I chose Central region, hot, clear weather in June and EVERY time the ground was damp.

10 times I chose South, hot, clear weather in June and each time then the ground was very dry.

Testing further, I chose fall and early winter months and no matter which region selected, the ground was damp even though parameters were hot and clear.

It seems sometimes dry weather is possible in the South region, but not so in Central when creating a QB.

Does this qualify as a bug? I don't want to test this 100 times, only to prove what seems apparent already based on 30 or so QB setups. Why is it abnormally damp despite setting parameters to the contrary?

Thanks for any help with this.

Craig

You must have gotten caught in the Pripyet Marshes.

:D

Just for interest, try it again in July or August and see what happens. As I recall, in the AGC AOO it rained a lot in June so that even if it weren't raining on the day your battle took place, the ground could still be wet.

Michael

[ September 30, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

You must have gotten caught in the Pripyet Marshes.

:D

Just for interest, try it again in July or August and see what happens. As I recall, in the AGC AOO it rained a lot in June so that even if it weren't raining on the day your battle took place, the ground could still be wet.

Michael

So then, are ground conditions randomized but weighted based on region/date? Does anyone know that this is coded into the game or is it just a hunch? What happens when you are sick of damp ground in the Central region in June? It would seem a parameter for this is necessary. If I want good weather with good ground conditions in June in a hypothetical QB battle, then I shouldn't have to generated a few dozen QBs till I get that setting.

Importing custom maps will serve as a workaround for this but it shouldn't have to come to that.

Ground conditions are tied to region. Well, all the map stuff is tied to region really.

Importing QB maps will not help as they pick up weather, region and ground condition info from the QB parameteres.

I agree with the idea of a combo-box for ground conditions. In reality there should be snow on the ground in Russia mid-October thru mid-march but the only way to get that is to set the parameters to snow or blizzard for the battle.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Importing QB maps will not help as they pick up weather, region and ground condition info from the QB parameteres.

Crap! Thats true. Just auto-generated a map; June 42 dry ground conditions, clear weather, Central Region. Imported it into a QB with June 42 clear weather, Central region and it still came out DAMP!!!!

A ComboBox for ground conditions in QBs is top of patch item list ;)

Craig

Originally posted by James Crowley:

Hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but I do believe Madmatt(?) made an announcement that adding ground conditions to QB paramaters was a possibilty for the patch.

Don't remember where exactly I saw it though.

Well, if you're mis-remembering something than I am too smile.gif I also seem to recall such a comment.