Assault force size

I have been playing a QB assault as attacking force. In this QB my opponent was lucky enough to have all flags reasonable close together so that he could defend them as one group.

He also bought loads of barbed wire, trenches and some mines for good measure. The terrain was hilly with some scattered woods (looks real nice by the way), the weather cold and with a snow cover. Some advantage to the defender (snow slows down the attacker and wears him out) but some to the attacker to (good cover advancing).

I made a mistake not buying any pioniers, but apart from that things went not to bad. I could advance real close (say 30 mtrs from the wire), and had nice covered jump of points. I had some arty (105 mm)to soften him up, and plenty of 81 mm mortars to lay a thick smoke cover.

The assault went not to bad. Some casualties, but that is to be expected against dug in troops. I managed to get some units inside his defensive line, but most troops broke and dropped back into their jump of points due to enemy fire. There was a smal hole in his line though, and his men there were supressed from 3 sides. Ideally I would now rush in an other compagny of troops, but I used up all my troops in the assault.

My plan B was to crack open part of his line by using my infiltrated troops (3 squads) to hit his trenches in the back, while my covering troops (3 squads) hit them from front. This trench was occupied with 2 squads, that had been under continues fre for 10 minutes (105 mm arty and then inf. fire). In practice this went nowhere. His 2 squads just turned around, slaughtered my men in their back, and then turned back to shooting the troops at their front. All the time their exposere was max. 7%, and often ony 5%.

This brings me to the question I wanted to ask: should the attacking force, if up against a force dug in in trenches and using barbed wire and mines, not have a greater ratio in points (and thus forces) then currently in CMBB? The defender got so much stronger then in CMBO that it seems to me that the advantage is to the defender now.

Any scenario designer that has experience with this? People that have played a couple of assault QB's against entrenched troops?

Bertram

If he has spent his points on mines and barbed wire, he hasn't spent his point on troops, artillery and armour.

Rock, scissors, paper.

You were just unlucky/made a bad choice in that you chose paper and he chose scissors.

Make a tactical withdrawl and live to fight another day.

When you select the point size in a battle it selects the force size for the defender. In an assault scenario the attacker gets 1.72 times the points the defender gets to buy units (e.g. points 1000 means defender gets 1000, attacker gets 1720). In attack and probe scenarios, IIRC, the modifiers for the attacker are 1.5 x and 1.4 x respectively.

I must admit, I normally find this about right.

Hope this helps.