Checking the view

I play CMBO in View 3 the entire game - I almost never have to switch views. However, in CMBB view 3 seems closer to view 4 in CMBO and is too high so I have to play in view 2. But view 2 is a little low to the ground for my tastes (although possibly not as low as in CMBO?)... good enough for playing the demo vs the AI, but I'm not sure I could stay in view 2 playing a human in PBEM. I have to constantly switch from 2 to 3 then back to 2. Were the views actually changed or am I just going nuts over here? If the views were changed, I'm just curious about the reasoning for switching the views around as the old ones seemed functional enough to me.

In this regard I was wondering something which is very important to me:

<big><big>Is it possible to change the default camera angle?</big></big>

I'm constantly switching to +10 and +20 because otherwise all I see is the ground a few meters in front of my units. To get a good view in views 2 and 3 it's almost always necessary to switch the camera angle. It's very irritating that every time you switch view the angle gets switched back to zero.

Wow, I did not know it was possible to change the actual camera angle too!! I might be learning some new things about CMBO too!! :eek: . Yeah, if I could adjust the camera angle in view 2 I might be able to get used to it. I can certainly see the irritation though if we couldn't keep that angle adjustment constant throughout the views since it is necessary to go to 3 or even 1 on occasion. :(

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

If the views were changed, I'm just curious about the reasoning for switching the views around as the old ones seemed functional enough to me.

The views have certainly been changed, and for my taste to the better. One thing that used to get me in CMBO was coming up high to get a good view of a large battlefield. 4 was the best it could do without going to a bird's eye view. Now 5 takes you to the highest viewing angle with 6 being the first of the bird's eye views. I didn't know these were going to change but I guess it's been done to handle the larger maps.

I like it, there's been quite a few instances in CMBO that I wished I could skip to a higher viewing angle and I've got a top down view instead. The actual difference of the angles doesn't bother me so much, I just like the greater choice.

I like to make maps from the high views. I only really play my buddy but I like to plan phase lines, etc up front because we have taken weeks over PBEM games in the past. What I'd really like to see is the ability to dump the entire map out to a BMP file (or something) from whatever viewpoint it best fits. That would be sweet, but with a little effort I can do it now myself so no biggie.

[ September 02, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: vbfg ]

Originally posted by vbfg:

The views have certainly been changed, and for my taste to the better. One thing that used to get me in CMBO was coming up high to get a good view of a large battlefield. 4 was the best it could do without going to a bird's eye view. Now 5 takes you to the highest viewing angle with 6 being the first of the bird's eye views. I didn't know these were going to change but I guess it's been done to handle the larger maps.

Yeah, I agree that the views in CMBO above view 4 left a little to be desired. I haven't tried the high views in the demo yet, but if they altered the high views at all it would be an improvement to those. The top down view was just about useless to me - except for when you were trying to get that confounded way point adjusted into that building!! I just wish that view three was a little bit lower than it seems to be in CMBB because it is now a little too high to appreciate the glorious graphics. One other thing about CMBO is that the views would get closer or farther from the ground depending upon the elevation you were at. On some large hills it was necessary to go to view 4 in order to get a decent look around rather than view 3 because view 3 would be too close to the ground at the hilltop.

ASL I TOTALLY agree.

I really fiddeled with the views myself. I tried chaning camera angles. I could never get comfortable in really any view. I always seem too far from the action. I had enlarge +2/+3 on all my units.

I use top down a LOT and I felt the unit bases were always covering the units cept for head and toes.

Maybe the views will make me move from top down to other angles.

Speaking of views, one change I've just noticed. Often when viewing at level 1 I like to tab to the targetted unit and follow it around. When I'm doing this I'll notice something out of the corner of my eye and try to 'revolve around' the targetted unit using the mouse. This always broke the lock. Now if you use the lower part of the screen, as you would to move sideways, this breaks the lock. Using the upper part of the screen to revolve does not. Fan-flipping-tastic! Thank you BTS, that's way cool. I just followed a tank sideways across the step watching its companions fire at another target. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif