For those having trouble with CMMOS 4.00

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

Gordon,

The file is it's way.

I can see that having CMMOS "remember" what has been installed could be tricky given that different buttons can change the same BMP.

Now I can't say exactly how CMMOS works, but I would imagine that it might be possible to use an "installed mods log file" that gets updated whenever a certain "FileList" type relating to a certain mod is called up and accessed when a user clicks on the button in CMMOS. When this occurs, the name of the mod that is being installed is put into a "slot" on the "installed mods log file" relating to THAT particular "FileList" type. If there is the name of a previous mod in the slot, it can be either deletd and replaced, or simply moved down the list and the new name added to "active" slot position (so as to retain a complete install history).

The program could then scan the "installed mods log file" and read what mod had been installed for each "FileList" type (if any). This could then perhaps trigger a format change to that particular mod button in CMMOS to show it in a highlighted colour (indicating that it was the LAST mod installed to have exclusively accessed the complete "FileList" type for that vehicle/terrain etc.

Just a half assed idea of something I don't really know too much about. tongue.gif Any sense in it?

Lt Bull

Lt Bull,

Ah, but here's the problem. Since CMMOS inherited and expanded on the old batch file system that was first used for switching options for mods, CMMOS doesn't really know/care that much about "mods". It processes "rules" which are just instructions to rename/manipulate BMPs. Those BMPs can span multiple "mods."

I'm constantly thinking about ways to enhance CMMOS, and I'll certainly add this to the pile, but there's a lot of ideas competing for my limited (spare) programming time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gordon

On the great "Done/Apply" debate by jKMkIII and Lt. Bull: smile.gif

It's that way because that's the way it is. :D

I thought that "Apply" is pretty indicative of the function of the button. The window doesn't automatically close in case you change your mind and want to select a different option.

Gordon

Originally posted by General Tacticus:

Just one problem....

...I've successfully installed and used various "pigpen" mods - no problem there (so, I seem to know what I'm doing ;) )...however, while I can install the rule set and mods for the "Winterfarhzeuge, dunkelgrau", CMMOS does not create any buttons for me to use the mods...

here is a excerpt from the log

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">WARNING: Key file "53470.txt" has an invalid extension

WARNING: Key file "57240_ww.txt" has an invalid extension</pre>

A couple of .bmp's need renaming, perhaps??

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gordon:

Leutnant Hortlund,

You placed the mods in the CMBB mod sub-folder?

Please e-mail me at "gordonemolek@poboxes.com" as I'd like to completely understand what happened.

Thanks,

Gordon

I'll answer here instead since I cant access my mail from work.

After I installed CM2, I created my own folder inside the CM2 folder. I thought it would be convinient to have all mods in one place. I named this new folder "mods". During the past weeks I've downloaded all mods into this "mods"-folder. I have kept all the zip files there (including the 250+Meg realcolor mod).

So, anyway. I downloaded the cmmos file, together with all the mods that are avaliable at the cmhq-site. I also downloaded all those "rule sets".

Ok, so now everything is inside my "mods"-folder inside my "cm2"-folder.

Next I decide to install cmmos, so I run the .exe-file. I can see how it unpacks alot of zip files. "Good" I think.

Next thing I get an error message. I dunno exactly what it said. I figure "ok, I'll just try that again". But my "mods"-folder is empty. Everything is gone, all zip-files, all txt-files and that cmmos.exe file.

"Hoorayy" I think.

No worries though, Im sitting on broadband at home, so it will only take an hour or two to download all that stuff again.

Regards

Steve</font>

Originally posted by SaTyR:

My OS is Windows 2000 Pro (with SP3).

When I placed the mod zips in ...\cmmos\cmbb\mods, added the rulesets and the mods in CMMOS (the preview images were shown at this point), it never gave me the options on the mod selection screen, I alt+tabbed, went to ...\cmmos\cmbb\mods and manually examined the mod zips... they were all EMPTY. And by empty I mean they had a size informed in the description but when tried unpacking nothing showed inside. Went back to the CMMOS, tried viewing the mods again and the previews were gone too (I could remove the mods but couldn't then add them back, for the zips were EMPTY). I am no guru so I do not know what causes this on my (and by the posts here, some of yours) system, but the problem for me is minimal, just re-downloaded the zips and relocated them to a different folder (aptly named modzips... clever me ;) ) and PRESTO ! everything works just fine.

And I repeat, I'm no guru, but I've worked with PC systems from the days your main OS was DOS, so I just tried again, tried different solutions and came up with a way that works (for me), didn't feel the need to start the umphteenth HELP! of ANGRY! thread about it. Can see how modem users and PPL used to modern PC "plug&pray" tech might get a bit upset tho' (this rant brought to you by: "Nerves: tell me why to bumb the FAQ thread again just for it to descent back to the oblivion because of idiotic whiney threads").

Glad to see you intended the ...\cmmos\cmbb\mods folder to work the way I first tried to use it and glad that on some PPLs OS it does. I't doesn't on mine for some reason and just wanted to give a warning or an advice to those having problems like me. Thanks again for the CMMOS 4.0, it's great now that I got it working.

I'll find out if any of the CMMOS testers have Windows 2000 Pro so they can try to reproduce this. There might be a difference between how the various Windows OSes handle these sorts of file locking issues.

Gordon

Originally posted by theike:

Have the **** installed, and now downloaded the rules for the 3rdtime......please dear god, let it work this time and not all disappear again!!!!

Where has my cmbb game gone to?

isnt it ns not to be ablle to play?

must say...great cmmos

theike,

I don't quite understand your post. Can you please e-mail me at "gordonemolek@poboxes.com" with a copy of the file "CMMOSLog.txt" located in the CMMOS install folder and a description of the problem(s) you are having and I'll try to address them.

Thanks,

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gordon:

Leutnant Hortlund,

You placed the mods in the CMBB mod sub-folder?

Please e-mail me at "gordonemolek@poboxes.com" as I'd like to completely understand what happened.

Thanks,

Gordon

I'll answer here instead since I cant access my mail from work.

After I installed CM2, I created my own folder inside the CM2 folder. I thought it would be convinient to have all mods in one place. I named this new folder "mods". During the past weeks I've downloaded all mods into this "mods"-folder. I have kept all the zip files there (including the 250+Meg realcolor mod).

So, anyway. I downloaded the cmmos file, together with all the mods that are avaliable at the cmhq-site. I also downloaded all those "rule sets".

Ok, so now everything is inside my "mods"-folder inside my "cm2"-folder.

Next I decide to install cmmos, so I run the .exe-file. I can see how it unpacks alot of zip files. "Good" I think.

Next thing I get an error message. I dunno exactly what it said. I figure "ok, I'll just try that again". But my "mods"-folder is empty. Everything is gone, all zip-files, all txt-files and that cmmos.exe file.

"Hoorayy" I think.

No worries though, Im sitting on broadband at home, so it will only take an hour or two to download all that stuff again.

Regards

Steve</font>

Leutnant Hortlund,

If I understand you correctly, you have a sub-folder within your CMBB folder where you downloaded mods, CMMOS_v4.00.exe and rule-sets. You then ran CMMOS_v4.00.exe and selected that same folder as the installation folder. An error occured during the installation process and your mods folder was empty.

I performed that sequence of steps on my Windows 98 system and everything worked without a hitch.

What version of Windows are you running?

Thanks,

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:

Leutnant Hortlund,

If I understand you correctly, you have a sub-folder within your CMBB folder where you downloaded mods, CMMOS_v4.00.exe and rule-sets. You then ran CMMOS_v4.00.exe and selected that same folder as the installation folder. An error occured during the installation process and your mods folder was empty.

I performed that sequence of steps on my Windows 98 system and everything worked without a hitch.

What version of Windows are you running?

Thanks,

Gordon

Yup that is exactly what happened. I'm running WinME.

Please forgive me for what may be a n00b question, but if I apply the "whitewash" options, will the vehicles only be white on maps where there is snow? In other words, will they still look normal on summer maps, or do I have to switch back and forth in CMMOS each time?

I'm new to the CM games and CMMOS, so I wanted to be sure. Thanks for any advice - and to Gordon and the gang for a great (and easy-to-use!) program and mods!

Originally posted by HeadHunter:

Please forgive me for what may be a n00b question, but if I apply the "whitewash" options, will the vehicles only be white on maps where there is snow? In other words, will they still look normal on summer maps, or do I have to switch back and forth in CMMOS each time?

HeadHunter,

You can safely install the winter mods (copy thm to your BMP directory) and they will not affect any summer maps/vehicles etc.

CMBB (like CMBO iirc) do not come with winter BMPs for the vehicles and infantry, but there are a number of BMPs that are RESERVED for exclusive use for winter mods. The intention is that the modding community make the wintr mods to fill these empty reserved BMP files. You will notice that they will not overwrite any files at all when you copythem to the BMP directory (unless you already have installed previous winter mods ;) )

When CM loads a winter map, if a specific winter BMP is not available for a vehicle or infantry unit, it will default to the standard summer set of BMPs, hence what you see when you load a winter battle from CMBO/CMBB right out of the box.

Lt Bull