O/T I need help from a Mac Tech Guru on Illustrator 10.0.3 running on 9.2.2 anyone?

Sorry for the off topic post

I posted to this thread in the Adobe Support forum:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@85.563gaKJcdfI.1@.1de59e4b

Hi

I administer two labs full of 25 Macs each. The first is a G4 Lab and Illustrator 10.0.3 is running in there on 9.2.2 under mulitple users as a limited user item and it works no problem.

So far so good.

BUT the problem is with the other lab full of B&W G3's that are running 9.2.2 and Illustrator won't run under limited multiple users.

The error message is "Can't find plug-ins"

when you click ok in the Big Grey dialogue box the computer crashes HARD and dies with a error Type 10 Login Crashed.

I am really stumped as to why it works on the G4's and not on the G3's.

Both configurations are useing Keyserver and it Works fine on the G4's. I have eliminated Keysever as a factor in the problem. The illustrator 10.0.3 app will open on the G3's when NOT in mulitple

users, but only from the root (owner) account, NOT as a limited item. Some how the prefs should be stored in the limited accounts prefs file but I have done that and it still does not work.

I have installed Illustrator and then turned on Mulitple users and set-up the new limited user account and still it does not work. Then I have set up the limited user account and then installed Illustrator and still no luck. I have put the illustrator plug-ins and prefs file in EVERY location on the HD that I thought was relevant to this issue and still it will not run as a limited item in mulitple users under 9.2.2 on those G3's!

I think I need some magic or computer Mac Admin Voodoo to make that app run on those G3's.

Any hints or suggestions on this one?

Thanks

-tom w

[ September 07, 2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

From the top of my head, after drinking a large mug of whisky&ginger ale. (something to bet your life on, in other words)

I bet it's a matter of clash between G3's system enablers (part of system, not separate files anymore) and 9.2's multiple users setup.

The only suggestion would be to try with 9.1. as far as I know, just about all system updates after that have been basically to improve co-existence with OSX. Might be some change has broken a previously working combination.

Or it could be something silly like graphics card drivers fekkin' up the multiple users.

Anyway, since you can't disable the system, you'll just have to go through extensions and control panels, and see what's different between the machines.

BTW, I hate managing B&W G3's, buggy bastids..

Seems as if there are a few issues with Illustrator 10 and installing the 10.03 update from looking up some stuff on versiontracker.com.

Is your Illustrator 10.03 straight of the disk or was it 10.00 updated ? Note the contact details for Shane Tracy Product Support Manager - Illustrator shtracy@adobe.com

I've personally gone no further than Illustrator 9.02 at least until Adobe make it faster or more reliable.

From what is coming out in the Adobe support forums, it would seem that Adobe has somehow managed to distribute two different "final" versions of Illustrator. One was release candidate 48 (beta 48) and the other was beta 50. People with beta 50 CAN apply the update, those with beta 48 cannot. The way to find out is to do a CMD+I on your "Save for Web" plugin for Illustrator 10. If it says Bigfoot 3.0b48 you won't be able to apply the update. Adobe said in the support forums that it would have a fixed updated within " a day or so " -- that was on the 10th of April. No word from them since then.  

The latest from an Adobe Tech in the Adobe Forums: -- Hello All, I think we are in the home stretch of figuring this one out. I really appreciate everyone's patience. Will the people who are unable to update Illustrator 10 do the following. 1) Navigate to the Illustrator 10>'Plug-Ins>'Illustrator Formats - Standard folder 2) Find the Save for Web plug-in and do a get info 3) Email me the version number that is listed. My email is shtracy@adobe.com Thanks everyone. We should have the final issue resolved in about a day. Shane Tracy Product Support Manager - Illustrator shtracy@adobe.com    

[ September 07, 2002, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Thanks for all your responses and insightful suggestions. smile.gif

Thanks also to BFC for not locking or moving this thread.

the issue (offending files) were pre-existing prefs of BOTH Illustrator 8 AND 9 and 9.1

so there was MASS confusion surrounding Prefs files and multiple users

if you have this problem you must remove all the old prefs (Doh!) and then copy the new Illustrator prefs from the prefs file in the system folder to the prefs folder in the limited user account.

its EASY if there no other prefs around to mess you up.

Thanks again

smile.gif

-tom w