Set Covered Arc quick order for whole command request

It takes a while to set up the covered arcs for each individual unit.

A helpful shortcut could be to have the whole platoon/section whatever selected in the usual manner (d/click on leader). Then set the arc either with the C command, or (what I usually use)C then CTRL.

If this drew the arc in front of the leader as usual, then applied it to all the highlighted units as well it would save a lot of time.

Generally my platoons face a similar direction, and it would in effect be telling the whole platoon to fire at a certain range& direction but would be 3 or 4 times quicker than the current method.

Feasible?

Hi Rex,

If this drew the arc in front of the leader as usual, then applied it to all the highlighted units as well it would save a lot of time.
Problem is that people could (rightly) argue that this isn't the right behavior. Instead, each unit should mimic the arc set by the user in relation to their own position. Kinda like how you do a Group Move command and everybody tries to move to their own spots in relation to the selected one, not everybody move to the selected spot.

But in any case, neither is possible. The code is just not set up to do this.

Steve

OK Steve, thanks for the reply. I wasn't really concerned with the exact right behaviour for the command, just a general targeting approximation for the units would be fine by me just to save time (that time limit in my CMBB TCP battles is going to have to be extended smile.gif )

It is moot as the code cannot do it, and while I'm here I want to thank you guys for bringing out another superb game.

Not to be difficult, but I don't see how it's not possible. I simply want to assign multiple units a covering arc of the same size and direction. The arcs don't have to be made relative so they all cover to the exact same distance or the same area. For example. If I have 2 platoons of infantry in a straight trench line and I want them to open fire at 300m, then it would be nice to simply select them all and assign a 300m, 180 deg. arc that would be repeated with each unit much like group move commands. I can't imagine what would be unrealistic or complicated about this. Lt. von Davis says "hey all you men, open fire on anything that comes within 300m out front of your trench!"

akdavis,

Keep in mind that what is conceptually "easy" might in fact be "impossible" from a coding standpoint. In this case it certainly isn't "impossible" but instead "a rather large bunch of work". The code is not set up to handle giving multiple orders to multiple units at once. Charles managed to make a rudimentary group move order, but notice it is only good for one waypoint and only has a single behavior (i.e. relative) and is quite "dumb" if that position happens to be on illegal terrain.

The main problem is that LOS checks are needed to do a Covered Arc order. There will be zero feedback about which units can actually see the area's two designated points. If the unit can't see one or the other, the order would not be allowed. This would make most uses of the command frustrating and ultimately more time consuming. There would also likely be some sort of lag if you tried to use this command for more than a few units because several LOS calculations would have to be done all at once.

Nope, this is a 100% no can do. It is of dubious value because of how it would be implemented in any case, so it is not worth the time to do.

Steve

Besides, I have found it "relatively" easy to do manually.

1. Have the men facing the direction you wish each squad to cover

2. Select the 1st squad of the platoon

3. Use TAB to lock the view centered on unit

4. Use keyboard command "c" or "v"(depending which type of arc you want

5. Hold "Ctrl" while selecting the range

6. Left click to set range and do NOT move the mouse

7. "+/=" key to select next unit

8. Start at 4 again w/o moving the mouse, just c/v, Ctrl, click,+.

Fairly quick when you do it. Use "shift X" to see all the arcs you have and that will give you the idea of your total coverage.

This will give you a series of "identical" 180deg arcs based on the orientation of each squad. So, if they are in a line, facing the same direction, you will have a series of half circles out to the same range intersecting each other. Just remember, conscripts can't do the Covered Arc command. The Manual doesn't say that, but I have not been able to get them to do it.

The main problem is that LOS checks are needed to do a Covered Arc order. There will be zero feedback about which units can actually see the area's two designated points. If the unit can't see one or the other, the order would not be allowed.
I haven't had any problems issuing Covered Arc orders without LOS to the designated points.

Originally posted by demoss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The main problem is that LOS checks are needed to do a Covered Arc order. There will be zero feedback about which units can actually see the area's two designated points. If the unit can't see one or the other, the order would not be allowed.

I haven't had any problems issuing Covered Arc orders without LOS to the designated points.</font>

Hmmm. On a somewhat related note, would it be possible to add a way to specify one-shot covered arc -- that is, once triggered the arc is discarded, along with the related targetting restrictions?

That way, similar to the CMBO ambush command, one could have an AT gun hold fire until a target presents a highly favorable shot, but then engage normally (under the presumption that it's been spotted by others outside the arc).

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The main problem is that LOS checks are needed to do a Covered Arc order. There will be zero feedback about which units can actually see the area's two designated points. If the unit can't see one or the other, the order would not be allowed. This would make most uses of the command frustrating and ultimately more time consuming. There would also likely be some sort of lag if you tried to use this command for more than a few units because several LOS calculations would have to be done all at once.

Ah, I did not realize LOS checks were tied to the arc command itself. I had thought they were there just as an aid to setting the arc. Now I understand and bask in the rays of enlightenment.

[ October 01, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: akdavis ]

Originally posted by Mud:

Hmmm. On a somewhat related note, would it be possible to add a way to specify one-shot covered arc -- that is, once triggered the arc is discarded, along with the related targetting restrictions?

I can think of ways in which this might cause more problems than it would solve. To my way of thinking, the CA is used mostly to impose fire discipline on units to prevent them from wasting ammo on targets beyond their effective range. If the CA is canceled immediately on their bringing the first target under fire, they then might start targeting units they can't do much harm to. I would suggest that a one minute turn is short enough that you can cancel the CA in your next orders phase if that is your desire. No doubt that can lead to frustrating situations, but either alternative is going to do that, and the present system strikes me as a better approach, both historically and for play.

Michael