Questions...

What was the difference betwen german LMG Team (2 soldiers, MG34) and HMG team(6 soldiers, MG34) except the number of soldiers? Were those 5 guys only reserves?

Why am I having a feeling that russian tanks are much more weaker than german ones? ISU 152 gets destroyed in no-time by any tank better than Pz III, and that famous T34 is allmost uselles. Even with veteran crew. On A mission "I don't remember the name right now" 3 Tigers destroyed 10 of my ISU 152 from abouth 1000 meters-and me and the enemy were both on open terrain. When one of ma tanks finally hits the target I see only 'shell broke up' or 'partial penetration-no serious damage'...

Has anyone played mission Katukov strikes back as russian? If yes-were those flaks 88 really so effective against tank? I always thought that they were supossed to destroy air targets. I lost all of the tanks while I had tried to cross that damn field. And I am playing Combat Mission quite a long time.

That'll be all for now, if you find some time, please answer me!

Originally posted by Lt. Wecker:

If yes-were those flaks 88 really so effective against tank? I always thought that they were supossed to destroy air targets.

If it's the same 88MM FlaK gun that Rommel used in North Africa, it's an unbelievable tank killer. Stay far away.

What was the difference betwen german LMG Team (2 soldiers, MG34) and HMG team(6 soldiers, MG34) except the number of soldiers? Were those 5 guys only reserves?

The light MG34 (as the MG42) is fired from bipod, the 'heavy MG34/42' is fired from a tripod.

When fired from tripod you get a much more stable weapon that enables you to shoot longer bursts with higher accuracy.

With a LMG you typically fire short bursts of 3-5 rounds. With the HMG version you fire up to 20-50 rounds per burst.

The additional crew in the HMG team serves to carry the tripod (20kg) and a lot of ammo.

Why am I having a feeling that russian tanks are much more weaker than german ones? ISU 152 gets destroyed in no-time by any tank better than Pz III, and that famous T34 is allmost uselles. Even with veteran crew. On A mission "I don't remember the name right now" 3 Tigers destroyed 10 of my ISU 152 from abouth 1000 meters-and me and the enemy were both on open terrain. When one of ma tanks finally hits the target I see only 'shell broke up' or 'partial penetration-no serious damage'...

Keep in mind that many russian tanks were designed to take on enemy infantry strongpoints, not to duel with german tanks. The ISU152 is a good example for that.

Using them in stand-off duels with Tigers (who have better optics, a more precise gun and a higher rate of fire) is the worst thing you can do.

The T34s are far from being useless, you gotta learn to use their strenths such as high mobility and very fast speed. I killed lot's of Panters with T34s...

Has anyone played mission Katukov strikes back as russian? If yes-were those flaks 88 really so effective against tank? I always thought that they were supossed to destroy air targets. I lost all of the tanks while I had tried to cross that damn field. And I am playing Combat Mission quite a long time.

The german 88 Flak was one of the deadliest guns in WW2. A high muzzle velocity, fast ROF and good optics made them absolutely deadly when engaging tanks from long range.

The downside was that the guns was quite vulnerable to HE fire.

How to deal with 88s?

Avoid them... tongue.gif

If that doesn't work:

First, you got to find them. Then use several tanks to engage them with DF HE.

Use arty when available.

Mass your firepower against them.

Ah, did I mention to avoid them if possible?

;)

[ December 03, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

The LMG is a bipod mounted weapon, while the HMG is mounted on a tripod, a much more stable firing platform. The extra crew members for the HMG are there to help carry the tripod, as well as all the extra ammo. Check out the standard ammo load out for the two guns, you'll see why the extra crews are needed.

Like Terrain said, the Flak 88 is a very effective AT gun. Rommel first used it on British tanks at Arras, then to even greater effect on the wide open desert.