CMBB - things I don't understand

I've enjoyed CM but, I'm not a big fan of the eastern front, so I was eager to try out the demo. First, I like to way contacts can appear and disappear sometimes right under your unit's nose. I think infantry behave more realistically then before, and like the new terrain types. There are still many things I haven't figured out yet, like cover arcs, and what if any use is all that temperature data.

CMBB - things I don't understand.

I don't know how CM can be so detailed in some areas and yet seem to lack them in others.Vehicle secondary weapons seem to have less detail Machineguns all have the same amount of ammo.

The age old steel panthers still seems to show more detail to weapons then CM. Secondary weapons still can't be damaged like they can in SP.

Infantry weapons all have the same ammo amount and the info screen still can't tell use how many grenades a squad has yet, it shows a picture of them on the unit screen.

This makes little or no sense to me, all MG's, rifles, pistols, use the same ammo and fire at the same ranges?? Wouldn't be more realistic to have infantry to use up their long range weapon ammo first and to some how show this?

Optics - with all the talk of optics, I don't understand why vehicles or their main weapons don't have some type of optics rating, I didn't see any in the info screen. The only think I've seen in the demo relating to optics is Russian mortar squads having binoculars go figure!

Question - for you beta testers

How much of the new features are really shown in this demo?

What's up with that! showing the shoulder of the unit leader vs. his face? :confused:

Where are the female Russian Snipers? ;)

Well, the answer to most of that is that CM is an abstraction. The men you see on the map are markers, not actual men like in a Close Combat game.

Unless something changed dramatically, grenades are not something that are limited, they represent the combats between close quarter infantry combat, tank assaulting, ect.

Likewise, each infantryman does not have his own ammo count. When squads reach low ammo, they slow their firing and have a dramatically less chance of scoring a "hit" on a target. They keep firing, but their chances of killing anything are less to show that they're not firing as much.

I think binoculars on troops are useful for spotting enemy positions, not for increased weapons accuracy. I could be wrong of course. As for optics, I could argue that this is represented by crew skill level, but I'd have to admit that such an arguement is not solid.

The simple answer I guess is that the only way of modeling optics in CM would be to give tanks "bonuses" in calculating hits when they fire. Thats not a good judge of optics, thats just being more leninet when you role the dice.

I guess what it boils down to is that you have to think of CM as a board game when such questions pop up.

This help?

Optics are present in the info screen, unless they are 'standard', so you have to look in a German screen. Optics are also not as hugely important as some people here seem to think - they are one factor in the equation.

Secondary weapons do not all have the same amount, they have one amount, displayed at all of them. This is because the ammo is interchangeable.

My infantry units do not all have the same amount of ammo, I am not sure about the demo, but there certainly is randomness in there.

One grenade shown equals five present in the squad. They are being tracked by the game, and you can run out of them. It is unlikely to happen though, I think - more likely either your squad or the enemy packs it in before that occurs.

I will add that I have seen a squad run out of ammo and grenades in a particular scenario. It aint pretty.

Yeah, steel panthers gave you the ability to damage secondary weapons. But then again, it did not track things like the exact angle of impact nor feature a death clock.

WWB

I would kindly not agree that everyone fires at the same rate. Green troops always fire more than veteran troops at less effectiveness. The range that they fire at changes also with experience. How much ammo a certain squad has is up to the scenario designer, and it becomes personal preference. Personally, I would much rather play CM than SP. smile.gif

Chad