The CMBB manual . . .

Yo.

I was wondering if the new manual might have some historical sections in it. Things like maps, major (and/or minor) engagements. Strategic zones/regions/objectives. Things that will help tie the whole eastern campaign together in my mind.

I'm mainly thinking about the great CloseCombat2 manual with all the great history and maps included. Kind of gave a nice overview. (I realize that encompassed just one operation, and not 5 years of war across vast distances.)

It's just that there might be some of us who don't know anything about the timeline of the eastern front war and what condition the forces were in during what year, etc.. And since I don't have the time and money to read/purchase an eastern front library, I would love a kind of a "Barbarossa to Berlin for Dummies," type overview in the manual.

I realize most players of this game have at least a passing familiarity with the history, but I'd LOVE to know more. And for some reason, I trust BTS to get it "just right." Like everything else they do. smile.gif

Don't-cha think that'd be kewl?

Gpig

Thanks, Commissar.

(Oops. Should have done a search, first.)

Well, all's I can say to that is RATS!

It's still going to be my new favourite game. Guess I'll just have to learn how to read.

Gpig

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I'd settle for a pic of each unit and a brief description / history of each.<hr></blockquote>

With many hundreds of units available I'd say it would still fill a considerable number of pages smile.gif

M.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>With many hundreds of units available I'd say it would still fill a considerable number of pages <hr></blockquote>

That's ok. ;) In many reviews I read how good the CM manual was and that was exactly what I was expecting.

I was kind of disappointed when I found no unit descriptions, I'd love something like the descriptions in the ASL rulebook.

Gyrene

Strangely the opposite has been true with manuals from other companies in the past. They concentrated on the historical setting for the game, but didn't provide enough details on the game mechanics.

A historical overview would be nice, but since the conflict is so huge it would generally be a waste of paper and time for BTS to try to summarize the conflict in the manual. And as already pointed out the number of units included would require a much larger manual to include summaries on - at an increased cost (and BTS already has enough people complaining about how much CMBO had cost without a 'pretty box'). Manual printing is one of the slowest and costliest parts of creating and distributing software. Perhaps a PDF for a unit overview, though I wonder if that would be worth BTS's time.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Strangely the opposite has been true with manuals from other companies in the past. They concentrated on the historical setting for the game, but didn't provide enough details on the game mechanics.

A historical overview would be nice, but since the conflict is so huge it would generally be a waste of paper and time for BTS to try to summarize the conflict in the manual. And as already pointed out the number of units included would require a much larger manual to include summaries on - at an increased cost (and BTS already has enough people complaining about how much CMBO had cost without a 'pretty box'). Manual printing is one of the slowest and costliest parts of creating and distributing software. Perhaps a PDF for a unit overview, though I wonder if that would be worth BTS's time.<hr></blockquote>

I can just imagine the arguments that the grogs would have if BTS tried to even put a cursory summary of the eastern front in the manual. :rolleyes::D

Personally, I would like more detail about the game engine published in the manual. I feel like there's pretty good data out there regarding vehicles (although I wouldn't mind additional information on percentages of getting weak point or shot trap penetrations) but I feel like the basic infantry model is still largely a mystery. Obviously, more firepower is good, more cover for the target is bad, but there's plenty of room for more information to be provided. Maybe it's my ASL background, but I'd like to know more formulas and whatnot to aid decision making (exactly when to open up with that MG, odds of being spotted when performing various tasks, etc.)