Should we have BOTH a CMBO and CMBB 'Tips and Tricks' Section?

With the new CMBB general discussion forum, do you think that it would be worth it to have two 'Tips and Tricks' forums, one for CMBO and one for CMBB?

The reason that I ask is because CMBB has brought on so many new features, that the tactics that worked in CMBO wont work as well in CMBB (and the other way around). This is true especially for the major areas of tactics: Armor, Infantry, and Artillery.

Do you think it would be worth the work? BFC, any thoughts?

Chad Harrison

Originally posted by Markshot

I think separate sections might make sense and save posters from constantly having to qualify to which game their posting refers.

I noticed just that point after I had started this. Everytime someone brings up something, this post will always follow: CMBO or CMBB? They are some big differences both in gameplay and stratagey between the two, that I think warrants a new forum for only CMBB Tips and Tricks.

Chad

You're right about the "BB" or "BO" question in this forum. But then the 'Tips and Tricks' forum was never really too hot. Splitting in up into two...well, with BB now, I think there would be almost nothing happening in the BO 'Tips and Tricks' forum. Maybe we better keep it the way it is. BB might be "standard" from now on and if somebody is talking about BO he will have to add it...

Marcus

Originally posted by tools4fools:

You're right about the "BB" or "BO" question in this forum. But then the 'Tips and Tricks' forum was never really too hot. Splitting in up into two...well, with BB now, I think there would be almost nothing happening in the BO 'Tips and Tricks' forum. Maybe we better keep it the way it is. BB might be "standard" from now on and if somebody is talking about BO he will have to add it...

Marcus

No, this is definatly the slowest of all other forums, for now atleast. We may find that with CMBB being more mainstream, and more publisized, we will find less and less newcomers who are hardcore wargamers. So, it might be made on a need basis, and not right now.

Chad

I agree, sure not now, only if there is a need later on. But even then, why split up a slow forum into two even slower ones?

True what you said, with a lot new people trying the game because of better/more press (any intersted wargamer who will not notice anything about CMBB must be living on the dark side of the moon...or maybe the little green guys already heard about it too???) the forum might get more important again. But then most probably it will be mostly questions about BB since most new players will go for the newer product I guess.

Therefore few BO questions can still be handled in the same forum in my opinion.

Actually a lot of topics in the BB forum would belong in here in my opinion; "how to use hull down command", etc...

Marcus

A fair portion of the traffic in the new CMBB section is taken up by the 'Tips and Tricks' kind of Q&A and debate over tactics and the new commands. And the problem is, all that stuff is getting well established over there now with all the volume, making this section rather worthless when it comes to the CMBB demo.

Originally posted by Shosties4th:

A fair portion of the traffic in the new CMBB section is taken up by the 'Tips and Tricks' kind of Q&A and debate over tactics and the new commands.

It seems to be to be mainly whining, flaming, arguing, lecturing, teasing, bragging and penging. It would be nice if the t&t forum was free of all this crap, and stayed a place for friendly discussion on how to become a better CM player, whether you're member number 10,000 or 50. I am hoping JasonC and redwolf and others are quietly mastering the demo so they can return and start some interesting discussions.

On topic, I don't think there needs to be 2 forums. After September there will be few posts on CMBO.

Originally posted by Frunze:

Ida know, most of the CMBB forum seems to be bug reports.

Just put in the thread title whether it's CMBO or CMBB, what's the problem?

For any of use who have been around for a couple years, there is no problem. When I came here about 1 1/2 years ago, I sure did not know all the traditions and how to go about asking a question without making a fool of myself.

If it was ever done, it would be done for ease of reference for new players, not for us old guys. I just for some reason have a lot of sympathy for those who are new to this board, and how intimidating it can be. Many dont ever post and just read because they are that intimidated.

Chad

Originally posted by Frunze:

Just put in the thread title whether it's CMBO or CMBB, what's the problem?

Because, to an average user, such input discipline is beyond them. 2 Forums is a much better solution.

The other thing that comes to mind watching the slow death of the CMBO forum is that once the real deal comes out 95% of threads here will be CMBB releated anyhow.

WWB

With respect I cannot see that if after splitting one forum becomes slower that this negates the overall benefit of being able to go to the Tips forum you want.

I would be very annoyed to keep opening threads relating to a point in one game whereas I thought it was the other. Nice though it would be to think people would identify the posts correctly I can see that it would be overlooked.

From the eventual archiving point of view and subsequent searches it will be an even bigger nightmare and the sooner these games are split into two Tips forums the better it will be.

Lastly as the spec. req. for CMBB are relatively high I think CMBO will be running for some time and newbies will appreciate the defining of which thread to follow - particularly as within a fortnight this board will be buzzing with CMBB tips.

Happy Gaming ....... but split the Board

So what's Battlefront's view?

Once BB becomes commercially available [and peopls stop posting tips via the main board] this forum will be very busy. How well are archive retrievals going to work - or will we old hands just know that pre-October 2002 any references we are seeking will relate solely to CMBO.

Then of course if you want something CMBO related post October oops smile.gif

My view (for what its worth) is keep a single forum. However I think two links at the top of

the page to a CMBO and CMBB hints and tips FAQ would be useful for all the new players that are about to discover CM**.

Similar to the links at the top of the Tech support forum.

The links could provide a premanent link to something linke the regular " Anthology or Useful Posts" threads that regularly apprear.

Lou2000

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the CM Bundle of both CMBO and CMBB, and at the advice of others in the forum am beginning by playing CMBO.

When reading the tips and tricks, I would like to know that the threads I'm opening apply to CMBO or CMBB without having to open them first. From what I've seen, and read in the forums here, there are commands exclusive to CMBB, and quite a few differences in how the two games play.