Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I wonder.....

After reading an excelent "sneak peak" of CMBB, it seams wind and smoke effects have been greatly improved.

All that work...I wonder, and I think I would if I were BTS...make those big beutiful gun barrels smoke. Big, lingering, plumes of smoke from the likes of 105s, 88s, etc.

Just a thought.

I'm not saying I know or not... I just thought the vaunted german 88 was difficult to spot cause it had few signatures (other than neighboring burning hulks).

Now, someone posted not too long ago a (finnish?) tank firing and getting thoroughly obscured by the dust and smoke lifted when it fired. Now that would be cool.

Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

Now, someone posted not too long ago a (finnish?) tank firing and getting thoroughly obscured by the dust and smoke lifted when it fired. Now that would be cool.

Most cool.

Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

[QB]I'm not saying I know or not... I just thought the vaunted german 88 was difficult to spot cause it had few signatures (other than neighboring burning hulks).

QB]

The later 88s actually had a problem with smoke. The Pak 43/41 aka "the Barndoor" fired a larger shell than the previous models. The gun (not very popular with its crews due to its large size and the difficulty that they had moving the monster through mud and snow on the Eastern Front) had the nasty habit of throwing up all sorts of debris in front of the muzzle (dirt, mud, smoke, dust, etc...) that obscured the crews' view of the battlefield and drawing attention to the gun's position. German manuals recommended that crews try to keep their rate of fire down (to 10 rounds or so) in order to minimize the problem.

All models of the dreaded 88 were not that easy to hide basically due to their size. The earlier models, of course, stood rather tall with their column mounting. The Pak 43/41 was the best of the group since it was fully designed as an anti-tank gun, and built low on a four-wheeled carriage. Their primary advantage arose from their ability to "reach out and touch someone" at a significant range.

One thought that contributed to the ability to hide the '88 was the allied mis-conception of calling every German anti-tank gun an '88' (much like every tank was called a 'Tiger' or 'Panther'). Throughout the Western European campaigns, the allies frequently thought that they were encountering 88s- particularly based upon the kill rate of the guns. Especially during the Bocage battles (including Operation Cobra) most AT guns encountered by the allies were the Pak40- which was a very good AT gun itself. In fact, the close proxmity of the battlefield and the terrain characteristics of the region favored a smaller AT gun.

A note of interest on the 88...based on my interviews with 70th Div vets, one of the reasons the 88s were sometimes difficult to spot was because the shell reached them before the report. The velocity of the shell was fast...they were busy seeking cover, expecting another shell to explode; it was then to late to notice where the shot came from.