Video Card

I assume you have a PC (Windows) is that correct ? The next question is what motherboard you have and how much money can you part with ?

Since you mentioned that you wanted to get away from ATI and its lack of fog for the current CM series, I'd recommend an Nvidia-based videocard (almost the only other choice). From here I'll assume that your motherboard has an AGP 4X/8X slot, which means you can't get the absolute latest and greatest (which is almost solely PCI Express x16). For Nvidia's latest you're looking at 6x00 series cards and here's where you'll decide how much you want to spend.

Some of the better choices (though no brand recommendations) are:

</font>

• 6600GT 128MB 8 pixel pipes ($140-190)</font>
  • 6800 128MB 12 pixel pipes ($180-190)</font>
  • 6800GT 256MB 16 pixel pipes ($270 - 280)</font>

The 6600GT has a higher clock speed than a plain 6800, which can make it faster in a lot of games/benchmarks, but there are some instances where a 6800 will outperform the 6600GT's. The 6800GT is the best choice of this lot with the most pipelines and good clock speeds, if you can afford the price.

When it comes to brands, you may want to check out the warranty length and some other details. eVGA is pretty good with their current warranty length as are a few others. One of my favorite resources (and online retailers) is Newegg (this link is directly to their videocards search page). The user reviews can be quite helpful at times (although they can also be equally useless at times too). Most of the brands that Newegg sells are pretty reputable and good quality. The user reviews can sometimes help to find those products that might prove frustrating or have quality problems (though the opinions are not always accurate).

I just purchased the AGP version of the 6800GT. The make was BFG. They claim that they overclock the card right out of the box, so instead of the clock speed being 350MHZ BFG's card is 370MHZ. Not a big deal really but if faster is better than this one is a little faster than the other brands.

It's been running good since I installed it. I paid $300 for mine.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Asus 6800XT at newegg for

$139.00 USC-it has only 8 Pipelines,

but 4 poeple rated 4-eggs(stars)as far

as a great Midrange Vidcard.

And it's Asus so it's quality with

good warranty service-you can go to

Guru3d.com and download rivatuner-

and unlock more pipelines maybe 4 more,

do it with caution.I did that

with my gainward 2200-256mb-6800

and unlocked all 16 with no Graphic artifacts...