PGNx Media Interviews Battlefront.com

Well PGNx, I thought the interview was good, thank you for taking the time to do it and for letting us know about it.

Folks, what's the deal with the snobbery? Not only do they do the interview, but PGNx then takes the time to register, post so we all know, etc., and all some of you can give him is BS criticism? I don't think it's the best interview ever either, but you know what, it really is way more interesting than no interview. Unlike some of you, I guess I don't value my time THAT much as to demand a refund for the 2 min. spent reading it, just because it wasn't up to par.

Switching gears comment about one of Martin's replies:

He mentions something about how it would be cool to see if this or that had happened. What if the Germans had held on at Kursk, and so on. In my opinion, the scale of the game does not really allow for this. You might take part in a piece of a piece of a piece of a huge engagement like that, but the rest you have to leave up to the imagination. I'm not sure that any of the playable battles in the game can give you that sense of "changing history". What do you guys think? (I don't play many/any large battles, so perhaps I'm wrong on this...)

Murph

The interview wasn't bad, but the review?? They give you the impression its a campaign. I won't even quote the graphic remarks. Obviously the reviewer did not know that ever other war game is 2D.

"The action's bulk takes place on the Eastern Front and puts emphasis on Nazi Germany's effort against the Soviet Union. The game begins with Operation Barbarossa and finishes with VE Day. In between you will take place in 50+ battles which are spread out through four years. You can be in control of almost a thousand units, from vehicles to artillery to soldiers.

If you're not interested in multiple battles or want to have some quick fun, you can take part in a Quick Battle. Players can make their own battles using the Quick Battle Editor, which also has some computer-made scenarios. You can take Combat Mission II online, or connect to a LAN for multiplayer action. With the amount of possible scenerios and multiplayer, Combat Mission II should keep you busy for quite a while"

I will say thanks for taking the time on the forum to notify us. It is appreciated, but mention the history of wargaming in the review please. smile.gif

[ November 07, 2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Loki ]

Originally posted by PGNx_Coolj:

Michael Dorosh, Nice to see you enjoy the ads.

Loki, Most wargames use a pseudo-3D isomatric(sp?) view. Most wargames are also RTS, which by popular opinion look better than CMII.

Most wargames are RTS??? Can you name 1 that tried to be realistic besides Combat Mission? Every wargame has traditionally been hex based. Look at the Steel Panther series, the Campaign Series ( East Front,West Front, Rising Sun). If your considering a game like Sudden Strike a "war game" I'd have to disagree. Its a typical RTS game but set to a WW2 theme, but isn't a wargame.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, we may just not see eye to eye, or maybe you haven't played wargames going back to the Commodore 64 days.

I would agree with Loki, Sudden Strike and the like are RTS games that use WWII as a backdrop. Similiar to how Wolfenstien does.

Other than Combat Mission (BO and BB) there are few if any real time wargames out there and almost zero that are 3D.

Not to sound arrogant but games like medal of honor, sudden strike, etc while fun, are not wargames but simply re-makes of already done ideas with a slightly different terrain.

Hope you see the difference.

Well yes I have only been playing computer wargames since my Commodore 128, but I fail to see why this interviewers shortcomings in your eyes is germane.

If he or other people on the site gain a spark of interest in the history behind the game and become more involved in this section of the gaming hobby, how is this a bad thing?

He hasn't come in here spouting w00t monkeyisms and gloating about how his way awesome site has trashed CM and its rabid fanboys so I think his perceived lack of gaming props can be graciously ignored. His continued presence here on the forum should be encouraged and his interest in CM rewarded as word of mouth is still a very important medium.

BDH

Originally posted by barrold713:

Well yes I have only been playing computer wargames since my Commodore 128, but I fail to see why this interviewers shortcomings in your eyes is germane.

If he or other people on the site gain a spark of interest in the history behind the game and become more involved in this section of the gaming hobby, how is this a bad thing?

He hasn't come in here spouting w00t monkeyisms and gloating about how his way awesome site has trashed CM and its rabid fanboys so I think his perceived lack of gaming props can be graciously ignored. His continued presence here on the forum should be encouraged and his interest in CM rewarded as word of mouth is still a very important medium.

BDH

I have no complaint with the interview, I enjoyed seeing it and am glad he took the time to come here and mention it.

If you look through the thread you will see a link to a review of the game.That review is what I have been speaking about. They gave CM a 6 for graphics and made some bogus statements in the review. If I were to review a semi I wouldn't compare it against a Ferrari. I would rate it against other semi's. I certainly think that a wargame should be judged by other wargames and not RTS games, nor are most wargames RTS like was previously stated.

Would I like to see other interview posted there on CM or other games? Yes. Do I think highly of their reviews? No.

Check out the review.

Review

[ November 07, 2002, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Loki ]

OK so the review is not the most accurate, knowledge based, and is tilted towards a console sensibility. You win some points back in retrospect Loki.

Given the general praise and further interest shown by interviewing Moon, I would suggest that the numbers be bumped up to show the unique quality of the game system but include the caveats of warning for those who unfamiliar with the genre.

The graphics could be explained to their audience by stating that for this type of game, there are no better graphics in a program that provides the scope, detail and accuracy contained in CMBB. If they do not match the graphics in (insert some graphics intensive game here) there is much that is not matched by the content in CMBB.

Fun is relative, but to get an 8 is not bad for something that is not particularily situated for their audience. They still get kudos for the effort in my book.

They should hire me to write their reviews. I am cheap and available part-time. :D

BDH

Guest Sgt. Emren

PGNx_Coolj,

In my opinion standard questions, like the ones in your interview, just seem like the interviewer doesn't really care much about the person or subject he is interviewing. It's as if the interviewer didn't take the time to come up with good questions.

When you (sorry, I don't know if you made the interview yourself) then proceed to ask Martin "What do you think distinguishes this game from others like it?", then that hints to me that you really don't know a lot about wargaming. The fact is that CM is unique in the way gamers have influence in the game (the WEGO system). It is not an RTS. It is not TBS. It's a combination. Hence, my 'Nuff said comment, which is my way of saying that I made my point and substantiated it with an appropriate example. Feel free to disagree.

I still appreciate your effort in pointing console gamers to the CM world, though. We can never have too little preaching to the masses! :D

I'm not going to knock it (the interview). It takes guts to type something up, attach your name to it, and then open it up to public scrutiny/criticism.

I'll just add that I have a couple of friends who work as reporters for the local paper, and it's a lot harder than most people might think to come up with questions for an interview; especially when the topic you're discussing isn't something you deal with on a day-to-day basis. I think it's commendable that a site that deals primarily with console gaming made the effort.

For what it's worth, I was happy to see they did it.