The Newbie Tournaments III

Announcing the Combat Mission Newbie Tournaments!

“One will win all; the rest will lose one.”

This is where the Newbies come to play!

There are four Sub-Tournaments: The SuperNewbie Knock-Out Tournament, where players with no prior multiplayer experience duke it out; The Garden Variety (GV) Knock-Out Tournament, where players with limited prior multiplayer experience have a go at it; The Newbie Rejects (NR) Knock-Out Tournament, where players with "issues" scratch and claw at each other; and The Alterna Bowl, where alternates do whatever it is they do. ;)

The participants for The SuperNewbie Knock-Out Tournament are:

Lord Dragon

Humus B. Chittenbee

Witko

Pfc. Dunsel

Zitadelle

El Griz

Toran29

DL

Vader’s Jester

Austin Bowie

YankeeDog

Dave H

Dan Buttar

SPLASH

Dize

Hobo

DD_Rob (alternate)

Dinga (alternate)

R.C. (alternate)

Bruce Robert (alternate)

The participants for The Garden Variety (GV) Newbie Knock-Out Tournament are:

vadr

Chad ‘Harrison’

Leta

Ligur

Hawk

Walker

Stormhouse

Von Viniga

Jim Liang

Chasd

Commander

Rucrazee

Dfgardner

White4

Major Catastrophe

Erik Alkema

Darknight_Canuck (alternate)

Bad Monkey! (alternate)

Armdchair (alternate)

Thewood (alternate)

The participants for The Newbie Rejects (NR) Knock-Out Tournament are:

Flammenwerfer

Bobbaro

mortar

Bruce Bowes

CombatGeneral

Asler

Silvio Manuel

voidhawk

Bog

icedog42

Sir Uber General

RedBastard

Donkey Hotay

Newlife

Vitalis

DStone

Andrewgy (alternate)

f1shlips (alternate)

Hoopenfaust 101 (alternate)

Sgt Colon (alternate)

If anybody is interested in following the progress of the tournaments, vadr has set up some online tournament brackets. To see what's happening, go here.

Enjoy!

Good luck to all!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Alterna Bowl has officially begun!

There will be two sections: the Competition; and the Exhibition.

Part 1-The Competition

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the Newbie Tournaments. In particular, I have been mulling over the question of what the whole purpose of the tournament is. Among other things, I came to the conclusion that we are trying to match inexperienced players in order to have fun and gain experience.

I believe that is generally what is taking place. However, there is one group that is being left out. I am referring to the tournament Alternates. They, like the Players, signed up to play CM with other Newbies and, by God, that's exactly what they will do!

I have decided to make a secondary competition for the Alternates. This will keep all of you who "did not make the cut" involved with the process, so that you are ready to jump into the fray if it is needed.

The scenarios I am designing for the Alternates will be different from the ones being used in the actual tournament (but they will provide just as many challenges). For each round, each Alternate will play one scenario against another Alternate from the same bracket. The opponents will be rotated for the first three rounds and an aggregate score will be tallied for each Alternate. The Alternates with the highest aggregate score from each bracket and a Wildcard (the highest-scoring Alternate that did not lead a bracket) will advance to the semi-finals!

The time limits for completing the scenarios will be similar to that of the formal tournament. There will be six weeks alotted for each round. Since the first three rounds will involve each Alternate playing only one scenario, there should be no problem completing it in six weeks. The final round will be divided into two three-week legs. The first leg will be the semi-finals and the second leg will be the championship.

If an Alternate is needed to fill a spot in the tournament, the option to do so will be given in the order in which the Alternates are listed in the brackets. If this happens, that Alternate will be eliminated from the Alterna Bowl. If an alternate Alternate cannot be found, a back-up system will be implemented for determining the winner of that bracket.

Part 2-The Exhibition

Now, just in case you thought there was a limit to my dedication to this tournament, I'm here to tell you there is not! As Players and Alternates are eliminated from the tournament, they will be thrown onto the Loser Pile and given the chance to get involved in the Alternate Bowl. Of course, they will not be eligible to win the coveted Alterna Cup, but they will be allowed to play the scenarios. This will be on a "for fun" basis and no scores will be recorded. There will be no deadlines enforced for completing the scenarios, but I ask that you attempt to keep things going at a decent clip.

There will be five scenarios used in the Alterna Bowl (one each for Rounds 1-3 and two for Round 4). Players will be allowed to play only the scenario(s) currently or previously used by the Alternates.

How do I get an opponent, you ask? Well, that's simple. When you are eliminated from the tournament, just post a message in the official tournament thread (i.e. here) and let people know you are looking to play. Once you have found an opponent for a particular scenario, please edit your post to let others know.

See the first page of this thread for the match-ups and the Loser Pile.

Good luck!

Okay, here is more information than you need:

Average age-32.58

Age Range-12 to 72

Countries/States Represented-

Australia

Canada

England

Finland

Germany

Netherlands

Norway

Scotland

Spain

Switzerland

United States-Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusets, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington.

That's all I have to say about that. smile.gif

Well, I am finally able to make the big announcement I have been hinting at making for a few weeks now. Thanks to the guys at Battlefront.com, the Newbie Tournaments now have prizes for the winners!

Each of the four group winners will win a special Battlefront.com Panther G print. So, that's one for each of the winners from the SuperNewbies, the GV Newbies, the Newbie Rejects, and the Alterna Bowl.

But, wait! There's more! The above four winners will enter the Newbie Finals to determine who the Ultimate Newbie is! The Ultimate Newbie will receive the ENTIRE SET of prints from Battlefront.com!

If you would like to take a look at the prizes, go here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/prints/index.html

Enjoy and good luck to all!

Here are the results for the completed scenarios:

Blind Man's Bluff

Games Played-21

Ave. German Score-47.14

Ave. Polish Score-52.76

High German Score-71

High Polish Score-75

Mighty Mouse

Games Played-20

Ave. German Score-49.00

Ave. French Score-51.00

High German Score-76

High French Score-81

Medium Rare

Games Played-5

Ave. German Score-51.00

Ave. British Score-27.20

High German Score-82

High British Score-36

Give and Take

Games Played-12

Ave. German Score-41.08

Ave. Canadian Score-50.17

High German Score-86

High Canadian Score-82

Give and Take-modified

Games Played-12

Ave. German Score-20.75

Ave. Canadian Score-25.25

High German Score-43

High Canadian Score-41

A Bridge Too Close

Games Played-5

Ave. German Score-41.80

Ave. Polish Score-47.20

High German Score-56

High Polish Score-65

Rabbit's Foot

Games Played-5

Ave. German Score-34.4

Ave. US Score-51.4

High German Score-56

High US Score-77

Note: since aggregate scores are used to determine winners, the outcome of one scenario will undoubtedly affect how another scenario is played. So, unlike playing scenarios individually (i.e. in a "vacuum"), it is difficult to extrapolate useful play-balance information from these numbers. (The exception is when the scores are VERY close to 50 for each side. Then it's just good scenario design. :cool: )

[ March 30, 2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

Here are the match-ups for Round 3:

SuperNewbies

Witko (57) vs. SPLASH (26)

YankeeDog vs. Austin Bowie

Alternates-

R.C. (73+53+39=165) vs. I-Man (18+63+33=114)

DD_Rob (27+37=64) vs. Dinga (82+47=129)

GV Newbies

Bad Monkey! (42+21=63) vs. Jim Liang (30+79=109)

White4 (32) vs. Walker (55)

Alternates-

Darknight_Canuck (41+56=97) vs. Thewood (30+29=59)

Teggy (36+39+41=116) vs. Armdchair (41+44+59=144)

Newbie Rejects

Mortar (41) vs. Voidhawk (42)

Silvio Manuel (50+52=102) vs. F1shlips (25+41=66)

Alternates-

Hoopenfaust 101 (33+36+30=99) vs. Smoky (18+65+70=153)

Sgt Colon (34+25=59) vs. Andrewgy (58+51=109)

Loser Pile tongue.gif

Lord Dragon

Commander

RedBastard

Rucrazee

Sir Uber General

Humus B. Chittenbee

Toran29

Chasd

ASLer

Von Viniga

Zitadelle

Dan Buttar

Pfc. Dunsel

Bruce Bowes

Flammenwerfer

Major Catastrophe

Vadr

CombatGeneral

Dize

Haohmaru

Bog

Dfgardner

Donkey Hotay

Bruce Robert

Stormhouse

Leta

Bobbaro

DL

Vader's Jester

Hawk

Eric Alkema

DStone

Icedog42

Hobo

Newlife

Dave H

Ligur

F1shlips

Bad Monkey!

Scenarios Available for Exhibition Play

Blood & Steel (VERY LARGE!)-all-armor conflict that makes many computers cry.

Medium Rare-a road separates the enemy forces.

A Bridge Too Close (revised)-two bridges separate the enemy forces.

Give and Take (revised)-a village fight in the snow.

Blind Man's Bluff-an ME in the woods.

Mighty Mouse-opposing light armor and infantry battle.

Rabbit's Foot (revised)-Germans must capture village and bridge from US forces.

The deadline for completion of Round 3 is 1200 hours (GMT -6:00) on May 23. If it's done sooner, that's a good thing. ;)

Good luck!

Note: Player scores in bold indicate the final tally for the round. If the score is not bold then it does not include all three scores.

Note: Alternate scores that include only tow numbers (eg. 56+41=97) indicate that Alternate's score from Round 2. If three numbers are included (eg. 56+41+52=149), that Alternate's scores from Rounds 1-3 have been tallied.

[ May 03, 2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

Oh, the joy of getting to make the first post to one of SuperTed's newbie threads (excepting only the man himself). Ted, I'm thinking you have put everything but the kitchen sink into Give & Take. I won't be surprised to see some of Splash's men come sliding down a hill in that, too.

What's next, a scenario in a tornado?

Dave

Originally posted by Dave H:

Oh, the joy of getting to make the first post to one of SuperTed's newbie threads (excepting only the man himself). Ted, I'm thinking you have put everything but the kitchen sink into Give & Take. I won't be surprised to see some of Splash's men come sliding down a hill in that, too.

What's next, a scenario in a tornado?

Dave

Dave,

Hey, I like it! :D

Half of the results have been received for Give and Take and things are looking like they're slightly skewed in favor of the Canadians. So, we have two options:

1) use Nabla's scoring system to standardize the results; or

2) play a different scenario and throw out the results from G&T altogether.

So, please let me know what your choice is. Keep in mind your decision should be based on what is fair, not what works best for you. Also, this is not a democracy. I am asking for your input, but I reserve the right to make the final call, regardless of what the results of the voting indicate. smile.gif

Those who are still playing should continue. I need all the scores before I can make my decision.

Thanks for your patience and feedback.

Originally posted by SuperTed:

So, we have two options:

1) use Nabla's scoring system to standardize the results; or

2) play a different scenario and throw out the results from G&T altogether.

My vote is for a relative scoring system like the Nabla. But ... is there any site to view how it works exactly?

I have not had time to study the Nabla system closely, but first glance suggests that it may be fair.

However I am greedy boy and enjoy the excitment of the tourney game. Playing a new one would be fine with me.

Regardless, I do think play would have been influenced if we all knew how the games were to be scored.

Ted,

My two cents on the scoring.

Anybody who is looking for the perfectly balanced game should be playing chess or go. How could anyone ever balance ANY situation with so many variables as even the smallest CM scenario?

I'm not worried about any imbalance between the forces. Maybe the real imbalance is between the players commanding the Canadians and the Germans. (FYI, I'm playing the Germans) Make it easy on yourself and just use the end scores like you did in the first round. Once you start tinkering with scores, you can be lumped in with the French judge of the figure skating who torpedoed the Canadian pair.

I think the whole point of this game is figuring out how to minimize your opponent's strengths while maximizing your own. If you're supposed to hold a town, well then HOLD IT! If you're supposed to take it, then TAKE IT! And just let the computer figure up each player's score at the end. Don't go turning us into scoreboard watchers.

Of course, it's your tournament and your decision is final. As Mel Brooks put it so well, "It's good to be the king." Just providing an opinion.

Dave