Does voodoo 2 show transparencies?

Perhaps my settings are incorrect, but it appears that my voodoo 2 will not show transparent buildings or smoke, even with "transparent buildings" turned on, and "full smoke effects" turned on. I do see fog, large billowing clouds of non-transparent smoke, and my occupied buildings are invisible except for the roof and floor. Is there any way to get transparencies, besides forking out more video card cash?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepow:

Actually I get fog and transparent buildings using my Voodoo2 1000 accelerator card. I also get fog and transparent things using the savage4 card by itself. My problem is I get lockups all the freakin time!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of Savage 4 card do you have? Thanks.

Elmo

Guest JAZZA

I get fog, transparent buildings and smoke, but the smoke has blocky edges due to voodoo2 limitations.I used to have lockups all the time,I was using 3dfx reference drivers for the voodoo2,then i found some drivers from the maker of my voodoo2 (apac) and installed them and it works fine now.www.driverguide.com is a good place to find different drivers.

I was using the Creative Savage4 32mb OEM (S3 Chipset) video card. Then I purchased the VooDoo2 12 PCI Accelerator card for a Permidia2 8mb AGP to put in my system. But I still have lockups, with either card! It really is starting to piss me off! confused.gif

I guess I should try different drivers from www.driverguide.com

[This message has been edited by thepow (edited 07-27-2000).]

I have a Canopus Pure3D2(Voodoo2) card running reference drivers. I get transparent buildings and nice fog, but the smoke is blocky and the explosions don´t seem right.

No lock-ups, these are probably driver related problems, but the smoke, that most Voodoo2 users are complaining about probably have something to do with the programmers choice of how to do transparent effects.

Lots of people still uses Voodoo2 cards, they still work, so it´s unwise of BTS not supporting them. I guess many grognards, the target audience for CM, are known of having old or not graphic-strong systems. (Correct me if I´m wrong) wink.gif

------------------

Exodus

• 3 months later...

Again, these are limitations with the Voodoo 2 series. There is nothing that BTS can do to fix the problem (to my knowledge). Apparently some of the Voodoo 2 (especially the Voodoo 1000 PCI) users are able to get transparencies, but not perfectly. If the effect isn't satisfactory you can go back to the compatible modes for smoke and transparency.

Maybe, to get a better transparency effect the smoke would have to be animated differently or a different sized bitmap. If that did work it would mean a special mode just for certain Voodoo cards or everyone would have to have the same effect for the sake of Voodoo 2 compatibility. These are limitations of the Voodoo drivers/hardware. Voodoo 3 (and newer) users don't have the same problems (though they have different ones).

Since CM's release a number of the big video chip/card manufacturer's have turned their attentions to modifying their drivers to work correctly with CM. However the older a video chip/card is the less likely that it is going to get this kind of support. The fact remains that video drivers are often imperfect and have limitations. It becomes very limiting if you have to program for the lowest common denominator for every piece of hardware out there.

My impression was that it was an issue with 3DFXs implimentation of Direct3D on the Voodoo2. I suspect that it could be corrected if BTS were to do a Glide version of CM, but they've (understandably) have decided to only support one 3D API per platform. So, it would involve either BTS adding Glide support, or 3DFX improving there Direct3D support for the Voodoo2. I wouldn't hold my breath for either of those...

Ben