Problems

Hello, just downloaded your Combat Mission demo, V1.0, onto my IMac, which is running Mac OS 9.0.4. It's a great game and I hope to buy the full version soon. However, I've encountered two related problems:

1. At some point after I start playing, my keyboard goes dead. I can't use the hotkeys or do anything else with the keyboard. (For example, the "caps lock" light will not flick on when the button is pressed.) That brings me to the second problem....

2. Since I can't use the escape button or control-Q to get out of the game, and because the power switch on the keyboard and on the IMac are rendered inopertive, I have to reset my IMac using the little hole in the side in order to do anything else on the computer.

Is there a fix for these problems?

thanks!

I haven't heard of this particular problem before. Several people here are using iMacs (though there are quite a few models). You may need a firmware update (though I doubt it). Have you used your System Updater to check/install any updates to your system ?

The latest version of the CM Demo is 1.02, which you can download from here (if 30Mb isn't too long to wait for). I don't think it will address your problem though, but it may be worth checking out (some cool explosion graphics - if you video supports transparencies).

CM Demo 1.02:

http://www.battlefront.com/downloads/index.html

You may also want to play around with what extensions and control panels load up. I would suggest finding the minimum set that would support your video (ATI), audio (GameSprockets), QuickTime, CDROM and anything else related to your hardware. Also, if you're running Norton's Disk Light, chuck it... it interferes with CM and a number of other programs.

Also sounds like you might have some sort of wierd USB device conflict. What else do you have attached to the machine? I run CM on an iMac DV SE w/ 192 megs RAM and OS 9.0.4, and the problem you're having has never occurred. But I have had some wierd USB problems at other times (not when playing CM).

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

Thanks. I will get rid of disk light first and see if that's the problem. I will also download the newer version. I'm using v 1.0, which I downloaded in two parts via AOL.

The other features (sound, graphics) seem to work fine. Let's see if that works. Buckeye, could it be a ram problem too? I only have 64 megs, but again, everything else works fine, other than the keyboard!

Thanks again!

HSample - Buckeye is probably on the right track with a USB problem. I haven't personally played around with the iMacs, so I don't know if the keyboards for those things are USB or ADB. If it is a USB keyboard, is it an Apple keyboard or a 3rd party keyboard (non-Apple, in other words) ? What other USB devices (if any) do you have installed ?

I've heard of problems with the latest firmware and USB. This problem would show up however regardless if you were playing CM or not. That's why I suggested experimenting with the control panels and extensions that load up - if you see this problem only in CM it would seem that there may be a keystroke you're using in CM that is mapped elsewhere. But still that doesn't make sense that the keyboard would stop working.

Well, it's working great now! I downloaded and installed the newest version of game sprockets from the apple site, as well as the current version of combat mission from the battlefront site. And everything, keyboard included, is operating correctly. Another satisfied customer! Thanks to all who replied!