Ham & Jam **Spoiler Warning**

Played Ham & Jam last night against the AI. I really enjoyed it, got a major victory as the Allies, but boy did that machinegun bunker clobber me. I redeployed during the setup phase and ended up putting better than a platoon right in front of that bunker at no more than 50 meters away. Opening seconds of Turn 1, I lost 36 men to the blasted thing. It was kinda impressive to watch, if awfully disheartening. Later on, the two Panzers were really causing me fits until they tried to cross Pegasus bridge. I had 3 Piat teams under cover and hiding, waiting for such an opportunity. The first tank got hit at about 50 meters, the second one was knocked out from about 100 meters. The two tanks getting killed really seemed to break the Germans, and I was able to rush a couple of platoons back across the bridge and to the town.

Kudos to the scenario designer, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Anybody else got any tales of disaster or near-disaster from this scenario?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pwtcowboy:

Played Ham & Jam last night against the AI. I really enjoyed it, got a major victory as the Allies, but boy did that machinegun bunker clobber me. I redeployed during the setup phase and ended up putting better than a platoon right in front of that bunker at no more than 50 meters away. Opening seconds of Turn 1, I lost 36 men to the blasted thing. It was kinda impressive to watch, if awfully disheartening. Later on, the two Panzers were really causing me fits until they tried to cross Pegasus bridge. I had 3 Piat teams under cover and hiding, waiting for such an opportunity. The first tank got hit at about 50 meters, the second one was knocked out from about 100 meters. The two tanks getting killed really seemed to break the Germans, and I was able to rush a couple of platoons back across the bridge and to the town.

Kudos to the scenario designer, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Anybody else got any tales of disaster or near-disaster from this scenario?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lost 47 to that dammed bunker. wink.gif

Golly gee beave....

I feel pretty lucky now. I was just getting ready to ask if re-inforcements are really needed for this scenario.

I mortar smoked the **** out of that bunker and put the whammy on the 2 guns in the first 6 turns. Turn 7, no bunker.

The vehicles were a little trouble, but nothing of a major headache.

By turn 21, Axis auto surrender. Didn't even get my re-enforcements across the second bridge.

Scored a 94. Highest i've ever scored on any scenario. Maybe it was the way the AI had all of it's infantry way on the west side of the city, not actually in the center of the city. As soon as I got a foot hold in some of those buildings, it was all over.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

[This message has been edited by DEF BUNGIS (edited 07-11-2000).]

Guest SS Peiper

Guys if you like Ham and Jam give Hill 140 by Dick Reece a go. One of the best scenario's I have played smile.gif

SS Peiper

Def Bungis:

I don't think I'd have had quite as hard a time of it if I hadn't, during the setup phase, placed so darn many units within 50 meters of the front facing of that machinegun bunker. That's really where I got my butt handed to me. I used the reinforcements to shore up defense of the bridge closest to the town, and sent the forces that had been at that bridge on into the city to help hold it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pwtcowboy:

Def Bungis:

I don't think I'd have had quite as hard a time of it if I hadn't, during the setup phase, placed so darn many units within 50 meters of the front facing of that machinegun bunker. That's really where I got my butt handed to me. I used the reinforcements to shore up defense of the bridge closest to the town, and sent the forces that had been at that bridge on into the city to help hold it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you cowboy. During set-up I put nealy two assault platoons in front of where the bunker appeared later. He didn't need to do ANYTHING but pull the trigger...there were little dead bodies everywhere...dumb assed thing to do...I knew better but didn't set up appropriately...DUH!

Still won, but at a higher than usual price.

eek.gif

As soon as the bunker appeared eek.gif, I ran my squads over to the other side of the road, which was high enough to block the view of the bunker. They ran forward, then hopped over the road coming in from its side. I had a few other squad laying down covering fire as my guys crawled through the barbed wire, then grenaded the bunker to death. biggrin.gif

All in all an impressive scenario, kept me on my toes after those tanks showed up and I spotted the germans reinforcements sneaking through the forest.

------------------

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...

-HAL 9000, 2001

[This message has been edited by jabberwock (edited 07-12-2000).]

jabberwock

----------

As soon as the bunker appeared , I ran my squads over to the other side of the road, which was high enough to block the view of the bunker. They ran forward, then hopped over the road coming in from its side. I had a few other squad laying down covering fire as my guys crawled through the barbed wire, then grenaded the bunker to death.

Heh, I started mine running immediately, they just couldn't get very far with those 3 machineguns in the bunker blazing away. The carnage was incredible to see, if awfully painful. I killed the bunker with grenades from squads that I'd deployed(luckily) on the flanks of it.

It's probably not possible to do this, but if it is....

as far as I know, the British had excellent aerial recon of the Pegasus Bridge area (I think they even practiced the raid on a mockup). If there are bunkers there, they should really be pre-spotted. The same holds for the gun pit next to the bridge - if it's in the scenario, which I haven't played myself yet.

------------------

-Doug