Newbie Qs

Hello everyone!

(my first post here)

I was finally able to find me a Combat Mission from local store. I wanted this game from "day one", but buying it online wasn't an option for me.

I've just finished reading the excellent manual, but before I start any combat action, I've got few Qs.

1. Is it wise to use add-ons/mods (hi-res versions of them) since I'm using 466Mhz Celeron with Voodoo3 and 128Mbs of memory?

2. If yes, are there any "must have" add-ons I should know of? Also is there any "Best Of CM:BO mods"-zip that would have all I need in one file?

3. Best sites/forums that I should visit?

4. Any good tips for newbies?

Thanks!

Yes you can do that,I used to play Cm on an old compaq333 without a videocard,even with mods it worked,slow but it worked

I suggest you buy some more memory,it cost nothing rightnow only a few dollars,256 or 512 would be desirable.

there are many different sites you can go to.

have a look at the scenario talk forum,various links you can find there to the Scenario depot,CMHQ ,der kessel and warfare HQ

These are the best around

for the mods,there is a cd in stores with lots of mods,not sure if you can buy it there where you live though otherwise just download them.

On the CMHQ site you can find complete mod packages as well

I say stick to low ress mods since high ress would slow down your system.

Try to set the horizon low and select the 2 man icons for squads ,this also speeds up the game.

henk

[ March 14, 2002, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: Stoffel ]

Hello Jesse and welcome to the crowd smile.gif

1. Go ahead and try, the mods are easy to apply and remove and some of them have a greater impact than others. In particular the grass and snow mods can slow down things but don't be afraid to try, just keep a backup or use the ones on the disc.

--

2. There are a great number of absolutely stunning mods out there and by now I imagine many players here have a completely "modded" gaming environment. But if I could only install one mod it would be Marco Bergmans Hi-Res Sherman full pack, you can fid it at CMHQ:

http://www.combatmission.com/mods/alliedtanks.asp

--

3. See the above, read the FAQ's that are floating around this forum and visit..

http://home.arcor.de/tcmhq/TCMHQ.html

http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/

http://www.tournamenthouse.com/CM/

For mods, scenarios and good TCP/IP opponents (in that order).

--

4. Play against humans, either by PBEM or by TCP/IP

--

Cheers!

M.

Hi Jesse

Welcome to our world smile.gif

Ref Mods I would reccomend you DL the excellent CMMOS programe (available at CMHQ with notes and instructions) and whichever of its Mods you so desire (literally hundreds of MB worth) as in CMMOS when you select a Mod there is now an option to use Mod as a Lo-Res version (still very nice indeed) which may help if you find your system spec has problems.

Enjoy this superb game

Thanks Guys!

The bonus CD came with the game, but I guess the mods in it are a bit old. And even though I read the readmes well I got no clue how to use the CMMOS util. I just throw different bmps into the BMP-folder and they seem to work pretty well.

BTW, everything else looks pretty good now, but are there any good new graphix for explosion anywhere?

Cheers,

-Jesse Laakso-

Not having seen the Bonus CD I can't comment on whether the CMMOS instructions are missing or not. In the standard versions of CMMOS, when you download it it creates a GEM Software Productions folder, a CMMOS folder is inside of that, and there are some pretty detailed instructions inside. If the Bonus CD doesn't have this, I would recommend going over to combatmission.com and downloading the latest version of CMMOS.

While you're there, spend a little time looking around. Read MadMatt's Guide to modding, and spend some time browsing through the heavily illustrated 3rd Party Mod section. There's a section in there that includes several different explosion and smoke mods. You should also poke around in the Combatmissions section which can be found by scanning down the menu on the left side of the page. This is what is left of what used to be a wonderful mod site. Last time I looked, if you click on the entries you'll see the presentation and notes on the individual mods.

There are several very important mod sites, and I think they were already mentioned. But after you have immersed yourself in CMHQ you should visit Mod&Modders, Tom's CMHQ, Der Kessel, Last Defense, and Warfarehq. There are many other excellent sites besides these (I'm rather partial to Appui-feu, myself) and I don't mean to slight any of them, but I'm undercaffeinated, memory is failing, and I'm only describing the first steps. I'll leave the joy of discovery to you, but strongly recommend getting to know the links section at CMHQ, which Manx has been updating recently.

Terve jesse! smile.gif

Voit myös pienentää modeja manuaalisesti. Värimäärän vähentäminen pienentää BMPn kokoa ja säästää muistia. Modien resoluutiota voit myös itse kikkailla. Eli miten vaan saat BMP tiedostot mahd. pieneksi niin että laatu kuitenkin säilyy.

Maaston (nurmikko jne.) värimäärän voi pudottaa 256teen eikä eroa oikeastaan edes huomaa. Modeilla saa pelistä aika kivan näköisen ja nopeuttakin saa jos vain jaksaa kikkailla vaikka PSPllä.

Jos en väärin muista niin mulla on nurmikko 16 väriä. smile.gif kuvassa myös lo-res PzKpfw-IVh

attachment.php?s=&postid=55145

onnea matkaan!

Ps. Tigerilla on jotain hyviä lo-res modeja. Saks. puolitelavaunut kannattaa ainakin hakea TOMs CM HQsta.

sry you english types. :D

[ March 15, 2002, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: illo ]