Rifle Grenades and Gammon Bombs

Among allied infantry formations I particularly like US Glider infantry companies, partly because each of the 4! platoons gets a .50cal MG instead of the .30cal,and because the squads have a lot of rifle grenades and gammon bombs.

My question is, when do infantry use these weapons, and against what sort of targets?

In my CMBO experience, rifle grenades are useless against tanks, especially anything well-armored like a Panther, even at close ranges. (This was confirmed for me by a former 101st airborne paratrooper family friend who dropped on D-Day. He said, when tanks showed up, they pretty much waited for a zook to take it out.) What about gammon-bombs? Will these take out tanks?

And when do soldiers use either of these weapons against other infantry, and with what kind of results?

In a recent defense my only AFV, a Jagdpanther, fell to a rifle grenade from the side. So I guess I respect them :-/

The penetration ability was posted here lately, it's like 60mm, so it work quite well against sides of non-Tiger tanks. The range was pretty decent, too, don't remember the exact limit.

rife grenade isn't as good as a faust, that is true. I've seen them used against mg nests and inf in buildings. The Gammon bomb will take out a tank, but only at close assault range (ie. the Tiger getting tracked in Ryan close). Gammons will be used against inf and buildings too like a satchel charge.

Yggdrasill,

I have had rifle grenaders take out a Puma, a flame halfie, a half track, & a few other generally lightly armored vehicles, infantry, & armored cars. Those targets were really close, within 50 meters.

The rifle gernades are shot whenever the squads decide.

I am generally pleased with rifle gernades. They are certainly better than not having them.

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

I had a squad of G.I.'s take out a Panther, Turret, Rear penetration. It was fantastic!

I had to rewatch the turn 3 times before I finally saw the little RG projectile leave the squad.

smile.gif

Gpig

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

In my experience, rifle grenades have indeed been useful against half-tracks and lightly armored vehicles such as Pumas, at ranges of <50 meters. But against heavy armor, all they have accomplished has been to draw the attention of the tank to my hapless squad.

Against, infantry I've never seen rifle grenades used. I assume that gammon bombs work something like satchel charges, tho perhaps less powerfully. I once saw an enemy engineer squad lob a couple of those--2 at once actually--from a distance of 15 meters at my rifle squad, with unfortunate results. Half my 12-man squads lost limbs and various other body parts. This had predictable results on the morale of the survivors.

I just talked to a friend of mine about rifle grenades, he used those things in the Swiss Military not that long ago :D

He said the tank should be at 30 or better 20 meters to score a hit, anything further away would make too much of a gamble and drawing the attention of the vehicle...

Of course they could not take out tanks from the eighties with those rifle grenades, only hope was to damage the tracks and immobilize the tank. After which the tank turns its turret and...

Finally the Swiss Army recognized that those rifle grenades were not very useful anymore and got rid off them...

Regards

Marcus

Hetzers were in Swiss military service until the 1970s as well!

RGs will kill anything but a Tiger from the side or rear, and light armor (vehicle screen, open topped SP guns, Lynx) from any angle. The difficulty is getting hits. They will rarely be fired if the squad is under fire itself. They work best from ambush, and can also work when there are so many potential infantry targets that one squad isn't under fire. They also have to be close - 40 meters or less, and with the best chance of being used and of hitting inside the same tile (less than 20m, close assault fashion).

Gammon bombs can take out anything but only from very close range, on the same tile. Again the likelihood of using them goes up enourmously if the squad is not under fire. In both cases, the squad is also more likely to use them if they have more. A single rifle grenade is less likely to be fired than one out of 2-3. US paras are great this way, because they come with multiple anti tank weapons each. (Of course, tanks don't drop by parachute, which is why).

Either will also be used sometimes against infantry, especially against infantry in buildings. But without much more effect than an ordinary grenade, typically (though they damage buildings faster). They are also useful against bunkers. Rifle grenades can KO wooden MG bunkers. Demo charges can take out concrete pillboxes if placed on the rear door.

Bazookas are better at all of the above because of greater range, but they less numerous and come in fragile 2 man teams that draw a lot of fire. Para platoons with zooks attached have very good infantry AT capability, comparable to what late war Germans get from their better fausts, although penetration capabilities aren't enough against Tigers. (Zooks can kill Tigers from the side with "flat" enough, right angle hits, though, as can gammon bombs if you get close enough).