As The Smoke Blows...

QUOTE] I think everyone is assuming that BTS are following the well-established, centuries-old and undisputed convention. In much the same way, I assume that they have not chosen to redefine the metre, the second or the degree Celsius.

[/QB]

Originally posted by Henri:

QUOTE] I think everyone is assuming that BTS are following the well-established, centuries-old and undisputed convention. In much the same way, I assume that they have not chosen to redefine the metre, the second or the degree Celsius.

Actually the metre as well as the second have been redefined at least three times since the sixties, and it will probably be changed again in the very near future!

[/QB]

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

You are upwind of an object if the wind hits you first.

So if you are out hunting being upwind is a bad idea, as the wind will carry your scent to the quarry.

In other words, hunt with "the wind in your face", not "at your back". .... smile.gif

KC</font>

Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

(No I am not any known relation to the esteemed Mr Salt)

You might be. According to an article in the Atlantic Monthly a couple of issues back, everyone of European descent is probably descended from—for instance—Charlemagne. We're a much tighter-knit family than first appears on the surface.

...Which may go a long way toward explaining why we fail to get along better than we do.

;)

Michael

John D Salt wrote:

Is that how the Russians indicated wind direction?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes (if V. K. Muller's English-Russian dictionary is to be believed).

A stinking DICTIONARY!?! Probably modern day and by some V. K. Muller? Who's he, a German, or Englander... Who knows what the devil he thought, I mean we need a real Ruskie here. Where's Commissar?

What did them ole Ruskies do to determine wind direction?

[ October 28, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Look, it's just a convention. One of those things that you are supposed to learn in school, like the way words are spelled (hint, hint). By having everyone learn and use the same conventions, we are able to communicate with each other and know what each other are talking about. It's like the Fahrenheit scale having the boiling point of water at 212° at sea level. That may be arbitrary, but as long as we are agreed on that it works.

Michael

Bwaaahhwaaahhh, water boiling at 212° !!! That's plain ridiculous, everyone over 8 knows that water boils at just 100°, freezes at 0° and that is a convention !! What are those funky measures ?? Brits one ??? Hehehe, these guys are crazy, they even drive left !!!

Now tell me how many centimeters is a meter ! tongue.giftongue.gif:D:D

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Even centigrade is only an extrapolation; Zero Degrees centigrade does not reflect the absence of heat, or absolute zero.

No, O°C is just the conventonnial value given to frozen water temperature. The Kelvin scale starts at 0 for absolute cold, and then use the same scale than Celsius...

Man, what are we discussing here:p :eek: :D:D !

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Even centigrade is only an extrapolation; Zero Degrees centigrade does not reflect the absence of heat, or absolute zero.

Centigrade is not a valid unit anymore, it was replaced by Celsius. But centigrade is still used in aviation, where fear that changing words could cause accidents makes them keep outdated units (feet are still used too).

Henri

port, left and red have less letters than

starboard, right and green.

up and forward to starboard, aft and down to port during GQ.

one more good quote and I can sign off your PQS.

you would not believe the number of flight students that fall prey to the "sucking" headwind problem (run out of gas and make improptu landings). the jetstream never helps you get from NY to CA.

don't spit into the wind, pull the mask on the lone ranger, etc.

Originally posted by Henri:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Centigrade is not a valid unit anymore, it was replaced by Celsius. But centigrade is still used in aviation, where fear that changing words could cause accidents makes them keep outdated units (feet are still used too).

Henri</font>

Zero Degrees centigrade does not reflect the absence of heat, or absolute zero.
Absolute zero doesn't reflect the absence of heat either, it's just the least heat possible. Or more accurately, ever-so-slightly (infinitesimally) less than possible. :D

As for the Ostwind, deploy it Unterwind. Just don't Breakwind in the process.

Originally posted by demoss:

Absolute zero doesn't reflect the absence of heat either, it's just the least heat possible. Or more accurately, ever-so-slightly (infinitesimally) less than possible. :D

Oh come on, realy? Geez and to think I was going to make fun of the guy who thought it odd ENE wind blows the smoke to WSW... :gulp:

Originally posted by demoss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Oh come on, realy? [regarding absolute zero]

We're even farther off topic than usual (or is that further? :D ), but yes, one of the implications of quantum mechanics is that nothing ever stops moving completely.</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by demoss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Oh come on, realy? [regarding absolute zero]

We're even farther off topic than usual (or is that further? :D ), but yes, one of the implications of quantum mechanics is that nothing ever stops moving completely.</font>