Laptop recommendation for CM...

Guest ckoharik

While I won't venture to tell you what laptop you should buy, I will give you my experiences. I've played CM on three different laptops: A Compaq Armada P266, a Dell Inspiron 5000e P3-700, and a Micron Transport GX+ P3-750.

Of the three the Dell by far is the most playable. The main reason? The graphics system. The Compaq only had a little 4MB, non-3D system, the Dell has an ATI Rage Mobility 128 with 16MB, and the Compaq is running a S3 Savage chipset with 16MB. Between the two 16MB vid systems there is no contest in performance in regards to gaming. The ATI handles everything I throw at it (within reason). I play CM as well as Counter-Strike and Aliens vs Predator. If you are planning on buying a new laptop then I would suggest at least a 14" screen (15" UXGA is suuhhhweeeet!) with an ATI Rage Mobility or Nvidia GeForce GO video system in it with 16MB minimum.

On a side note, ATI has released a new mobility chipset to manufacturers that should be hitting the market soon. The performance is supposed to outpace the current Nvidia GO sets by a significant margin. We shall see.

One issue with ATI-based video solutions is the lack of fog. I'm not sure of the current S3/VIA video solutions for laptops and their support for fog-tables either. Other than that the ATI chipsets should usually play fine. The GeForce2 GO video chipset should display fog, but I haven't seen one in action myself as of yet. As Panzer Boxb mentioned, you'll want to get a laptop with sufficient video memory (16Mb is good, I believe there may even be 32Mb models out now). Generally speaking the more video memory you have the better likelihood that CM will perform smoother on your laptop.

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Titanium Powerbook :D

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure OstFront6 would like to be able to eat something more than Ramen after buying the laptop too, Gyrene. tongue.gif

Schrullenhaft, yes, there are 32MB vid systems based on both ATI Mobility RADEON and GeForce GO chipsets, as well as rumor or 64MB version to be released in the next couple of months. On my 16MB ATI I can run some hi-res mods no problem but too many can cause problems.

Note: I just checked Nvidia's site and, as I remembered it, they list the straight GeForce GO chipset as having 64MB of memory with the 200 (32MB) and 100 (16MB) models having somewhat better performance specs. However, I have yet to see a manufacturer actually use the 64MB version.