Yellow lines - what are they?

Hi all! I'm a CM newbie and I was wondering what are the yellow lines that sometimes appear when I click on my unit or a enemy unit? I know red is target/firing, but yellow? I can't finds any reference to this.

Also, any tips on how to advance infantry from one treeline over a wide expanse of open space to the next treeline safely?

Thanks!

Hello!

The yellow line means the unit that it is attached to has been spotted by the unit it is attached from (the highlighted one) but is not targeted.

You may see multiple lines like this if the unit sees multiple targets. Also, the line may mean that the unit isn't firing on the one with the yellow line going to it because it is pinned down, or the unit doesn't consider it prudent to open fire (like a bazooka trying to hit a kraut jeep at 1.5 KM)

Hope this helps, welcome to CM! smile.gif

Also, there's a dandy little FAQ floating around here somewhere too, that'll answer lots of questions for you, often before you have 'em!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by busboy:

Hello!

The yellow line means the unit that it is attached to has been spotted by the unit it is attached from (the highlighted one) but is not targeted.

You may see multiple lines like this if the unit sees multiple targets. Also, the line may mean that the unit isn't firing on the one with the yellow line going to it because it is pinned down, or the unit doesn't consider it prudent to open fire (like a bazooka trying to hit a kraut jeep at 1.5 KM)

Hope this helps, welcome to CM! smile.gif

Also, there's a dandy little FAQ floating around here somewhere too, that'll answer lots of questions for you, often before you have 'em!<hr></blockquote>

Whoops, I'm afraid it means a little more than that. If you click on a unit, and there are yellow lines emanating from that unit, the unit(s) at the other end of the line are actively targeting the selected unit. They may not always get a shot off, but yellow lines mean that your unit is or will shortly be shot at.

Yellow lines are BAD... unless they're coming from your units. smile.gif

And to add - the thick red line occurs when two units are shooting at each other. A thin red line (sounds familiar) indicates fire that is one-way.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: redeker ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redeker:

And to add - the thick red line occurs when two units are shooting at each other. A thin red line (sounds familiar) indicates fire that is one-way.

<hr></blockquote>

I didn't know this...are you sure this is correct?

Wow...I didn't know that...thanks for the info!

So, if one of MY units is highlighted, and there are 3 yellow lines connecting this unit to 3 enemy units, it means that 2 things:

1) My unit can SEE those 3 enemy units , and vice versa;

2) The 3 enemy units are about to fire (or my unit's about to fire??)

Thanks again everybody!

Alan

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Alan Loke ]</p>

...just to make it more practical:

Situation: you are German and your Tiger is shooting at American halftrack. I you click on Tiger, there should be red line from your Tiger to halftrack. But if you also see 3 yellow lines from you Tiger to three Jacksons, that means that you can almost say goodbye to Tiger. Those yellow lines mean that those 3 Jacksons are aiming and possibly already firing at your Tiger.

Ouch!

Alan Loke,

FYI

For game play and updates, check out "How to Take a Screenshot and other CM goodness" thread, which has FAQ and in continually bumped to at least the 1st or 2nd page.

For a very unofficial "Tactics Manual," go to the Tips and Tactics section and read the thread, "Anthology of Useful Posts." It has links to a mountain of useful threads on nearly all aspected of CM play.

Welcome to CM and enjoy!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

..and just to confuse matters..

In some night missions you can target your own side. You find yellow lines emanating from your units, targetting your units. I've seen this a few times and I thought it was a bug originally.. It's the small things that really make this game..<hr></blockquote>

Oh, yes. And just because of that I check all my units that have an ambush order every turn in my night battles. because 1) They just might fire a couple of rounds into their buddies, thinking they're the enemy, and thereby exposing themselves, and possibly their target; and 2) because when they target that friendly unit they'll unhide AND lose their ambush order!

All sorts of horrible things could happen. I think it could even change the course of a battle, if you're really unlucky. Great game. smile.gif