BFC Look Here--> Quick Battle Parameter Info: Odd?

Hey I don't know if this has been brought up yet but I like the new info/briefing screen you get when you load up a QB PBEM that has been sent. The only problem I can see is that the person who set it up does not get to see that screen before making purchases.

Of course the person setting it up would know all the parameters. Except if map settings are set to random then the first person will not know the terrain (town, village, etc.) before purchasing but the second person WILL.

BFC please fix or do sumfink! :D

[ October 01, 2002, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Sarge Saunders ]

Hello,

I saw the same thing in my first quick battle.

I was hosting and set the map paramaters all to 'random'.

My opponnent (TCP/IP) was able to see that the map paramaters were set to 'random' in his briefing... but he was also able to see what the results of the randomization!

Something like:

Tree cover set to random.

Tree cover set to light.

Hills set to random.

Hills set to high.

Almost like an unintentional double post in the briefing smile.gif

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Saw this in the first thread that brought it up smile.gif It is being looked into, but I have not heard back from Charles yet as to what the deal is with it. If it is something that can be fixed it will. Hopefully it can be.

Steve

thanks

-tom w

OK, here is the deal...

The problem with the way CM is coded is that we can't change the order in which things are or aren't shown. In other words, we can't introduce something in a different order or way than things are displayed now.

What happened was many testers (myself included) requested the RANDOM selections display the chosen value in the report. These things can be figured out by looking at the map or the interface, but we felt it was best to have a complete list. The unfortunately side effect (which nobody caught) was that one side gets to see what these values are before buying units and the other doesn't. So Charles has disabled RANDOM variables from being displayed (now it just says "Randmo").

Remember, the main purpose of this list is to inform Player #2 what Player #1 chose as options. This prevents Player #1 from setting up a game with not at all obvious options which can weigh the game in his favor. Both players are supposed to agree to the choices ahead of time and this report enforces that.

The change will be in the 1.01 patch.

Steve

The solution my roomie and I came up with in HtH is our own Battle Tables (based on % chances for all the variables of a setup), we then load up a web based 'Random Dice' program (just do a search for it) and consult our tables per roll. That way we both know going into the battle what all the conditions are. Since we are using 'modifiers' (no chance for snow in July for example, or that 40% of the battles are Rural/Farms, very little chance of night battles, etc) we don't get 'crazy setups' that the Random Selection will tend to serve up. Try it, it's great! Those that are not using LAN should take care that the setup is 1)done by the Host, 2)is known to both sides and agreed to (allow yourself to decline a battle if the rollup seems out of norm somehow). Once both sides agree to the rollups, then the parameters are entered by the Host and the Host emails/icq's when ready to enter (with the setup as designed). This works for PBM as well.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

OK, here is the deal...

The problem with the way CM is coded is that we can't change the order in which things are or aren't shown. In other words, we can't introduce something in a different order or way than things are displayed now.

{snip}

The change will be in the 1.01 patch.

Steve

This would be the most fair short-term solution. This way neither side knows the terrain when it is set to random. It will be a complete surprise. Those not comfortable with this should just avoid random.

It wil be interesting for both sides not to know. Then those Super Heavy tanks won't be so great once the random weather turns out to be mud! Or the hordes of AT guns don't do much good in heavy trees, etc. Forces a player to purchase conservatively I think.

So Steve:

With this new change in 1.01, once battle has begun and you click the "battle parameters" screen, will its still show only random (like you are changing the before battle screen) settings, or will it then show random + what the computer chose?(like it is now)

Also, does it make a difference? Are there any settings that are NOT noticeable directly from the map or mini-map?

Jonp,

So, if I am reading this right, that means that in v1.01, neither side will know what to expect until the map loads.
For Random stuff, correct. Otherwise the non Random stuff is still displayed. As I said above, this stuff is supposed to have been discussed and agreed to by both parties. Since it is now IMPOSSIBLE to hide deviations (unlike CMBO) not seeing this info before purchasing units shouldn't make a difference. The important thing is to see them before the game starts to keep the setup player "honest"

PL, it will now just show "RANDOM" and no info afteer it. And no, there all factors that can be Random can be determined through observation. For example, RANDOM date, time, forces, region, etc. are all quite obvious. Subtle stuff, like pre battle casualties, are REALLY obvious smile.gif

Steve