On-Map Mortars

I've seen this discussed somewhat here, but haven't quite gotten an answer to one question that's been bothering me. I've understood that HQ units can spot for on-map mortars, however, I've been unsuccessful in achieving this yet. In one instance, I had my HQ unit in a second floor of a building while the mortars were some distance behind that building. The mortars were IN command but couldn't fire on targets visible to the HQ unit. I don't know why. The only time I've been able to use on-map mortars is when they spot for themselves (i.e. targets are in their LOS).

How is this supposed to work? Will any HQ unit do for these spotting purposes? Do you use the mortar unit's Fire command or what? :confused:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Thompson:

I've seen this discussed somewhat here, but haven't quite gotten an answer to one question that's been bothering me. I've understood that HQ units can spot for on-map mortars, however, I've been unsuccessful in achieving this yet. In one instance, I had my HQ unit in a second floor of a building while the mortars were some distance behind that building. The mortars were IN command but couldn't fire on targets visible to the HQ unit. I don't know why. The only time I've been able to use on-map mortars is when they spot for themselves (i.e. targets are in their LOS).

How is this supposed to work? Will any HQ unit do for these spotting purposes? Do you use the mortar unit's Fire command or what? :confused: <hr></blockquote>

Is there another HQ closer than the one in the building?

Assuming that the Platoon HQ or Company HQ has LOS to your target and command & control of the mortar crew(s), you target the mortar(s) as you normally would. If the HQ indeed has LOS and C&C, the target line will stick. If the HQ does not really have LOS and C&C, the target line will not stick.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Moriarty:

If the HQ does not really have LOS and C&C, the target line will not stick.<hr></blockquote>

Actually it will stick even if he doesn't have LOS, but the line from the mortar to the target will be Red, indicating the mortar should attack that target when it comes into view. OTOH, if your HQ does have LOS to the enemy target (and is in control of the mortar team), the line will be Orange indicating indirect Area Fire from the Mortar.

But I suspect as Moriarty and Louie have said that your mortar team is out of contact with that particular HQ (another HQ is closer), and so the Mortar can't use the HQ you want it to.

- Chris

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wolfe:

Actually it will stick even if he doesn't have LOS, but the line from the mortar to the target will be Red, indicating the mortar should attack that target when it comes into view. OTOH, if your HQ does have LOS to the enemy target (and is in control of the mortar team), the line will be Orange indicating indirect Area Fire from the Mortar.

- Chris<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the correction, Wolfe.

Thanks for you advice! I guess the problem in my example case was that there was another HQ unit closer (minimum range wasn't the issue I'm sure). I though that as the HQ team in the building was the mortar platoon's own HQ it would be the only HQ unit doing the spotting for them. You see, in that same battle I had several different rifle platoons pretty scattered and they couldn't take advantage of another unit's HQ for C&C purposes. That's sort of why I thought HQ's for mortar platoons are equally "dedicated" as well. If rifle HQs can't help another HQ's rifle unit, how can they help another HQ's mortar units then? (Did that make any sense? :rolleyes: )

I don't want to gripe, though. I love this game. This is not such a big deal, it's just one I'd like to master. Those mortars can do a lot in the right hands...