pz II in June 1941

Originally posted by Tha_Field_Marshall:

Just a question, at the time of Barbarossa how wide spread was the use of the PZ II? I was under the impression that the PZ III had replaced them in front line units. Or were they still used extensively?

They were still used extensively in recon battalions. I don't know if they were used the Panzer regiments.

Michael

As far as I know, Those tweaky little bastards were still used in recce-battallions in 1943, but after that they were withdrawn from front-line duty.

This is a little off-topic, but Israelian troops encountered PZIV-series tanks used by Syrian army in 1967. Syrians used those mostly as mobile arty-bunkers.

If I remember right, Finland abandoned StugIIIs in the early 1960s from the frontline use, and those were also moved to war time arty-bunker role. Last ones were withdrawn from that role in the early 1990s because the old 75mm ammo became obsolete and were counted not be safe to use anymore...

Tanks ready to roll, 12. PD

21st June 41

Ia/Ib - 53

II - 34

38(t) - 117

IV - 30

Total 234

So, more two than IV, and still a very high number of Panzer I.

11th December 1941

Ia/Ib - 8

II - 5

38(t) - 13

IV - 7

Total 33 (oops...)

Manpower losses (for good measure, including sick cases evacuated) - 552 officers and 13,394 ORs out of 521 officers and 18,166 OR (the division seems to have been significantly overstrength for the start of Barbarossa. Just an indication of what the first five months of Barbarossa did to the Wehrmacht (remember, that is when they were winning most of the time).