Sturmkompanie Question

I love 'em. They cost out the ying yang, especially for Vets, and they die under arty fire just as fast as green volksturrm; but they can put out an impressive volume of fire while still remaining strong after losses(13 man squads).

I always mix a sturmkompanie in with at least 1 other company. Use the regular troops to find the enemy and draw arty fire, then assault with sturmmies.

They also work well as Company HQ security forces. Strip one sturm squad each from 2 sturm 'toons and give 'em to your best Co HQ. Prop up the short 'toons with HMGs and/or Schreks. The Co. HQ can now go rally troops with a little support.

A vet sturmm 'toon with a combat bonus HQ is a thing of beauty in action. I had one that had to have gone fanatic on me that killed unreal numbers of enemy and never gave an inch.

All things being equal ... I take one sturmkompanie but never more than one every time I can afford to mix 'em into my infantry point allotment. If you are sure of your arty-avoidance abilities .... make 'em Vets and watch the fur fly.

I never liked them in CMBO. They are too fragile when HE hits them. I would buy a platoon in a 1500 or 2000 points game, as a reserve when the armor war is over.

In CMBB you get two AT platoons in additions to heavy weapons, which makes them generally unattractive.

Yeah, I think in CMBB the AT platoon makes them a scenario designer option, not a realistic force for QBs. Especially given the historical employmet, which was on the attack where the 75mm ATGs would be hard to use at best.

WWB

Ah yes, the good old days of Sturmkompanies in CMBO. I remember I would play this guy on the RD ladder with QB after QB. Every time he was the germans, he would pick up a veteran sturmkompaie. I loved it, because for his one company of those guys, I could get about 2 to 2-1/2 companies of vanilla Americans. Sometimes I miss my yanks already . . .

Chad