And finally.....Outlook Express or another app?

One of my main uses for e-mail is PBEMs and I've always used OE as my default e-mail app (or is the correct term client) in the past. Is there another that's better or recommended? The new PC will have Win XP Home and IE6 so OE seems the most logical to me? A few people wince when I tell them I use it though. To be fair, I prefer it to Outlook.

But Outlook is of course the king of virusses, trojan horses and anything else that will pump your credit card number over the wire.

On Windows, I see many people like the mailer integrated into Mozilla web browser (www.mozilla.org) and some like Eudora, a pretty old but slim and safe mailer.

[ October 08, 2002, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

A mac tangent on the e-mail topic - I just started playing combat mission after upgrading to a new mac (now I can play it.. would have upgraded sooner if I knew what I was missing). Anyway, it is also the move to OSX for me, so I transferred everything to Apple's new Mail app.. and I find that playing PBEMs I've got to reboot to OSX everytime I want to send a turn.

I think I'm going to set up a mailbox just for PBEMs and configure a mail app under OS 9 for just that mailbox - all the other stuff will be fine & available in OSX, PBEMs will be there under 9 ... anyone see any problems with that scheme?

Thats exactly what i use Outlook Express for in OS9

I have OSX mail set up to leave a copy of the e-mail on the server

(so when I'm in OSX I can know if I've gotten a turn)

that way when I switch to OS9 I can just download it again

then Outlook Express removes it from the server

It gives me duplicates but I dont miss a turn that has arrived

ps

Mac Outlook Express is pretty virus resistant

as is the Mac in general

[ October 11, 2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]