Surround Sound CMBB

Okay, recently I made a small investment in the Creative 5500 Inspire 5.1 speakers. However, I'm currently running that off the inbuilt ALC650 sound on my Gigabyte 7-VA mobo. I'm thinking of buying a sound card to beef up my CMBB experience.

My question is, which sound card do you guys recommend? WHich one are you running at and do you recommend it? I'm thinking about an Creative Audigy2 but then the other Hercules sound cards etc look tempting too.

Any input/hints/suggestions/recommendations appreciated. Thanks guys!! smile.gif

I have had the SB Live! 5.1 and the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, both on the same speakers. Overall the TB is sounds a little cleaner and has had fewer driver issues, but as far as quality goes they have been nearly identical. The TB does more work on the card itself, so it probably has an advantage in framerate dependant operations, like FPS', but for CM a $25 SB Live! will do the job.

WWB

I've got a Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy Gamer card. Works good for me. I also have the Creative Labs 5.1 surround speaker system. I have never had any problems or complaints with this combination in regards to any application on my PC. Combat Mission sounds great with this card/speaker combo.

I have the 5.1 Creative Inspire speaker system also and am using a SB Audigy 2 card. The sound is very sweet for a PC ( my Onkyo 6 channel surround whoops it's butt horribly tho ;) but I had alot of problems with my Audigy conflicting with my ATI Radeon card. Wasn't any resource conflicts at all just trying to use my ATI Control Panel with the audigy drivers installed ( ATI CP crashes instantly ) after spending nealy $45 on ATI's useless tech support, I said screw it! I set my ATI CP settings up then install the audigy drivers.

Originally posted by WarDogz:

I had alot of problems with my Audigy conflicting with my ATI Radeon card. Wasn't any resource conflicts at all just trying to use my ATI Control Panel with the audigy drivers installed ( ATI CP crashes instantly )

Thanks for the tip Wardogz. I've also got a 9700 Pro, and was thinking of getting an Audigy, but now it seems otherwise.

So u can't use both CP and Audigy? And does the EAX and all those other settings you use in the Audigy card effect CMBB much? DOes it help to enrich the sound experience? Thanks

MAsta, I only just got CM yesterday and am currently just trying to get it working and learning how to play, so I can't give a detailed assesment...sorry :-(

Regarding the sound: it's great! regarding EAX...I don't know if CM has any EAX configuration sent with it. I imagine one could create a custom config but I personally won't bother with that. Now without disabling the Audigy and enabling my onboard sound, which is 5.1 also, I can't give a comparison, but without question I am sure the Audigy 2 smokes my on board Abit sound chip ( AT7 MAX2 )

Regarding the ATI CP and audigy issue...the problem seems to be inconsistent...depends on sytem stats ( motherboard/chipsets )so you may not have a problem. I never did get any substantive help from ATI tech support and have done hours of troubleshooting on my own, but the ATI CP crashes with the Audigy drivers in. I've done multiple system formats, OS and driver sequence installs and PCI slot placements to try to work it out and gave up.. my next graphics card will NOT be an ATI product ;)

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WarDogz:

I had alot of problems with my Audigy conflicting with my ATI Radeon card. Wasn't any resource conflicts at all just trying to use my ATI Control Panel with the audigy drivers installed ( ATI CP crashes instantly )

Thanks for the tip Wardogz. I've also got a 9700 Pro, and was thinking of getting an Audigy, but now it seems otherwise.

So u can't use both CP and Audigy? And does the EAX and all those other settings you use in the Audigy card effect CMBB much? DOes it help to enrich the sound experience? Thanks </font>

Don't buy an SB card if you can help it. Creative is horrible in their driver support. Also stay away from ATI. My 9000Pro and SBLive card have had problems from the start. I get crackly popping sound in CMBB (esp. with lots of fire\smoke), MTW (actually freezes when you enable the hardware sound with Creative's XP drivers), certain maps on Ghost Recon, and IL-2 Sturmovik. Disabling Smoothvision (ATI's AA) helps with sound in CMBB, but it looks like crap. This proves that there's some problem with the combo...possible just drivers...I've tried everything else and nothing works.