Quick Battle Breakdown

I don't know where to post this, if anyone runs a website or just wants the file let me know. Its in Excel.

Basically it breaksdown Quick Battles, all points, sizes and the 3 types that very Assult, Attack, and Probe. The only reason I didn't do ME's is because the Setup Zones and Neutral Zones are the same for each side. So are the points. The map sizes are the same for all 4 battle types, in relation to the points (ie: a 5000 point assult, Large Map, is the same size as 5000 point attack, Large Map)

What I did was measured all the setup zones for attackers and defenders, did the math and added neutral zones for attackers and defenders. This is useful for figuring out were your enemy could setup. Particularly in Assult/Attack scenarios.

I also did the actual map sizes, in meters, for all points and map sizes (ie: 5000 points/Large = 1115m x 4715m, 5000 points/Medium 1115m x 3275, 5000 points/Small 1115m x 2315m).

I also broke down the points for each battle type, for each side (ie: 5000 point Assult: Attacker 8750 Defender 5000, 5000 point Attack: Attacker 7500 Defender 5000.)

Anyhow, if anyone wants the spreadsheet just let me know. And if anyone knows any webmasters that might want to add it to their website e-mail me.

bo@dsl-only.net

Gleep, thanks for sending it. I have looked at it (in Open Office! MS be gone!), and I have a few comments, and some criticism, and some places that I would love to see someone do further research.

First off, I had not realized that all types of scenarios at a given amount of points always have the same map dimensions. That's an interesting factoid, though I don't know how helpful for most things. However, for my QB campaign I may change the attacks to assaults to help the player fit in the forces.

Also I had not realized that Assault and Attack have the same setup zone dimensions, for both sides.

I am now curious what the difference is between assault and attack, other than the points. I have understood it to be the distance of the flags to the rear.

So here's my call for more research. I should like to have someone set up maybe 10 games at each size, and determine (a) the average total value of flags present (where small are 100, large 300), and (B) the average distance of the flags from the back wall of the defender. Presumably one or both of these is different for attacks versus assaults.

Now some more criticism. First, the numbers you have come up with are probably very close to the right ones, but I am almost certain that the dimensions of the maps will never vary from even multiples of 20m, and probably 40 or even 80m. In any case, I also suspect strongly that the dimensions of the QB maps will be realizable in the scenario editor; so look in there and see which numbers are possible for length and width.

As for measuring length and width, I would suggest making sure that the unit you are using really is in the very corner of the map. If you have bases on, then half of the base will actually be off-map. And be sure to use a flat map to measure. Hills make the LOS tool weird from above, sometimes.

In your legend, you have length as "East to West". But you have length as the dimension which changes based on scenario size; that would be the north-south dimension. This is a minor problem, but I thought I would mention it. Another very minor problem is you have some of assault rows switched in label with the attack rows. (Easy to do since they are the same.)

One final thing I thought would be nice, would be to have another sheet dividing the tables up by map size (small/medium/large).

I will look into what you mentioned.

If you look on sheet 2 I broke it down in a different way. Just a simple cut and paste.

On the measurments. I noted that its +-5M, and on top of that I used the default starting position. I may go back and make it perfect, but after about 10 QB's, you realize you don't have the time to make sure its exact.

The whole point of it for me was to give me an idea of where my opponent could setup. That's how it started, but I figured it wouldn't take much time to do the other stuff.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments, I will work on it more when I have the time, as I am in the middle of moving.

As for the assult/attack difference, I didn't see anything in terms of numbers different besides the points. I didn't do every single one though. What I did was I did the first 6, realized it wasn't changing, did about 5 more random ones, saw they weren't different, and assumed they were all like that. There were patterns that were easy to follow, if you look at the chart.