Can Someone explain Mortars??

First... I am playing the demo

Mortars seem to need LOS to the target. Not all that much of a hassle besides the fact that they are piss slow to move.

I don't know what WW2 mortars were like, but now a days we leave them in a small clearing in thick cover to fire on targets where command had visual contact.

They could also fire blind at points on a map without any visual spotters.

Am I missing something, or is this not a part of CM.....

---> By the way, I have searched on this but want feedback i na new post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoatnGator:

I don't know what WW2 mortars were like, but now a days we leave them in a small clearing in thick cover to fire on targets where command had visual contact.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works the same way in CM. If a platoon leader has LOS to the target and the mortar team is in C&C you can target the mortar using the platoon leaders LOS.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoatnGator:

They could also fire blind at points on a map without any visual spotters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without a HQ unit spotting, mortars (as distinguished from FO's) cannot fire blind.

The points have been covered, but I thought a bit more detail might help. Understand that your on-map mortar teams do not have radios, so they cannot receive fire mission calls. A forward observor can, and there are FOs for off-map batteries of 81mm and 4.2" mortars (for the US - Germans use 81mm and 120mm; Brits use 3" and 4.2").

The on map mortars can fire direct or indirect. Direct they work like any other unit and need LOS to the target. Indirect they need either (1) a TRP (registration point) right next to the location they fire at -and- not to have moved (moving would lose the registration), -or- (2) an HQ to call out the corrections to them, acting as an FO for them, but close enough to communicate with the mortar team by shouting, signaling, or sending a runner a short ways.

The way the second works mechanically is as follows. The mortar needs to be in CC distance of a good order ("GO") HQ unit - look for the red command line between the HQ and the mortar team. Then, that -specific- HQ needs to have line of sight to the targeted location. Look for a blue LOS line using the sighting tool. Then, click on the mortar and pick "target". You will get a shooting line, like an LOS line. Even though the line is black, if you select a location the -HQ- can see, the targeting line will "stick", as an orange "area fire" targeting order.

Some things to watch out for here. It has to be the same HQ that has the command line. So be careful you don't send a new HQ closer to the mortar, and thus wind up switching the commander of the mortar team away from the HQ spotting for them. Also, the fire order is at that area, not at a unit there. The targeting will not react to enemy movement (though you can chance the aim point the following turn, of course).

The way to use it in practice is to assign some HQ to your mortars, if you use them together "in battery" - a company HQ or a weapons platoon HQ, typically. Put the mortars in dead ground with cover ahead of them - back of a slope, behind a building, back in scattered trees out of LOS. Put the HQ on the crest, treeline, or in the building. The HQ can then "hide" if desired. Now you can shell the enemy without them seeing anyone to shoot at.

I hope this helps.

Don't dismiss direct fire mortar deployment. Direct fire is very fast and responds immediately if a target becomes available. Mortars have great range so if the map allows it you can engage outside of effective mg/squad range. This leaves your opponent faced with using either artillery (inefficient and wasteful) or direct fire HE. Artillery barrages take some time to arrive and your mortar can scoot into a nearby building until the storm passes and then redeploy. If the enemy exposes direct HE you can use other assets to hit back.

Mortars are more survivable and moveable then guns.

The brit 3" excels in a direct fire or indirect fire role. I really like them.

- marc

And if you're looking for speedy deployment of mortars, try using the UK troops. The Brit 2-inch mortar moves at medium speed, i.e. they can keep up with infantry. Granted they're relatively small caliber ... something less than 60mm if I recall correctly ... but they're good for taking out MGs, onboard arty and the like.

The only good use for Brit 2 inch mortars is for taking out Axis guns at up to 150 meters. Those 2 inchers have magnetic shells that are attracted to Axis gun barrels. ;);) Well, that is not the true reason, but the net effect is the magnetic shell reason. tongue.gif

In fact, 2 inchers wacking Axis guns at close range is just about the only use for those suckers. :(

Cheers, Richard :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Cuccia, the PiggDogg:

In fact, 2 inchers wacking Axis guns at close range is just about the only use for those suckers. :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use them to supress enemy MGs while infantry squad(s) charge the MG. The mortars don't have to kill the enemy to be effective. This won't work if the MG is in a building though.