Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help newbie..

I am new to CM, have played CMBB a couple of weeks. I am playing Approach to Sevastopol. One group of reinforcements include two 88 mm guns and tow trucks. I never get them were I would like to have them. If there is an air attack or something unexpected happens, guns loose themselfes from the tow where ever they happen to be and thats it. I never get them back to tow. Is this a bug or what? At least its not realism, gun crews can get scared but they should not start setting the gun up immediately in very odd places!

Hi Tanktop, and welcome.

If I recall correctly, once deployed large guns like the 88 cannot be moved anymore -at all- in single battles. It seems this is also true for the situation you just mentioned.

[ November 12, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Juju ]

Hmmm, I've never had an 88 forced to unlimber from an airstrike. I don't mean it doesn't happen, just that the opportunity doesn't present itself very often.

Most of the utility of towed guns is when you can set them up in a good spot and let the enemy come to you. Trying to do it the other way around (move them to the enemy) can get complicated.

Half of the challenge of CM is that something usually pops up to mess-up your best-laid plans.

Originally posted by Tanktop:

Thanks guys. I finally got them to the spot i wanted. I understand the limits in big gun use, takes really quite some time to set them up. Anyeays I thing I should be able to reconnect them to tow truck if the release was not planned.

Hmm, is my english really that bad? :D

hehe, not bad really. But can you look me in the eye and tell me that you don't love the fact that the game is so realistic that you actually have to Think, Plan, and use Tactics/Strategy??

I love this game. I spent 2 hours last night taking only 3 turns!! :D:D:D:D:D

I always watch the action replay close up for every unit ;)

That is the unfortunate nature of these bigger guns. Once you get a vehicle large enough to move them, it is an unarmored vehicle and the guns just love to unhitch when under any fire.

I would like to see the gun crew take atleast 50% losses before unhitching the gun. Bailing the transport when a lone MG opens up on you is not very realistic in my mind.

Chad