flares in cmbb

I would like to see the inclusion of flares (ground or aerial), if, the employment of them is realistically modeled. In my experience (mortar & M203 fired parachute flares, mechanical trip-flares, and aerial flares from AC-130s) the positioning of these assets is key to their usefullness. If popped behind friendlys they will blind and disorient the enemy and make him stand out quite well as you could imagine, the opposite is true if their sent to your 12 o'clock, the OPFOR gains the advantage. When used directly overhead both sides have an equal benefit. Trip flares are effective in the defense because they let your crew served systems know were to concentrate their grazing fire. One thing about the indirect launched and airdropped models, while their decending shadows move all over the place giving the false impression of movement. Jumpy troops will waste ammunition and give away their position firing at these "ghosts." I won't even go into the havoc they cause with NODs (night vision devices for the uninitiated...) Use of flares is usually part of the unit's fireplan must be carefully employed. Maybe giving onboard mortars the ability to fire illumination rounds like they now do smoke would be the best method of including flares in CMBB.

I would like to see the inclusion of flares (ground or aerial), if, the employment of them is realistically modeled. In my experience (mortar & M203 fired parachute flares, mechanical trip-flares, and aerial flares from AC-130s) the positioning of these assets is key to their usefullness. If popped behind friendlys they will blind and disorient the enemy and make him stand out quite well as you could imagine, the opposite is true if their sent to your 12 o'clock, the OPFOR gains the advantage. When used directly overhead both sides have an equal benefit. Trip flares are effective in the defense because they let your crew served systems know were to concentrate their grazing fire. One thing about the indirect launched and airdropped models, while their decending shadows move all over the place giving the false impression of movement. Jumpy troops will waste ammunition and give away their position firing at these "ghosts." I won't even go into the havoc they cause with NODs (night vision devices for the uninitiated...) Use of flares is usually part of the unit's fireplan must be carefully employed. Maybe giving onboard mortars the ability to fire illumination rounds like they now do smoke would be the best method of including flares in CMBB.

Oh, maybe their incendiary qualitys should be modeled as well. I've accidentally burned down a GP Large tent with a white star parachute from an M-203 during a training exercise. Was just lighting up the OBJ and the chute portion failed for whatever reason...

Was that a Luftwaffe AC-130 or a Red Air Force AC-130?

Germans and Russians did not use airdropped illumination, but there were a variety of other methods of delivery, from mortars to hand held "Very" pistols as mentioned above, with various types of starshells, flares and other illumination rounds.

The Commonwealth also used "artificial moonlight" in Normandy and beyond, with the same mixed results.

See Pork Chop Hill for a representation of this on film (the movie is about Yanks in Korea, but it illustrates the point nicely).