Alternate end turn - why?

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Geier:

Agreed. I am presently unable to see how the defender could ever benefit from more turns. The attacker has more time to rally his troops, troops that were Broken when the battle was "over".

the advantage to the defender is this...

If, in CMBO, a scenario were designed for 30 turns, in CMBB you make it 25+ not 30+. Therefore it can go a bit longer than required or a bit less. Make sense?</font>

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

That's great and I love the feature, but why not just make it +/- so many turns instead of +/0. Than you could set the turn length to the median instead of mentally calculating the earliest at which it should end.

I'd have to agree. The only downside I can see would be possibly getting cheated out of a late game reinforcement.

Yes but in a 25+ battle, the players KNOW it will go to 25, but in a 25 +/- battle, they don't know the earliest it could end.

Also, in Citadel I basically creamed the Russians, and had TOTAL control of all flags by the end, then had to hit go and wait for 4 'bonus' turns, in which the Russians did nothing. I used it to mop up a few broken crews.

The point is, when does the game decide to use the bonus turns? Is it random, or is it, like Steve mentioned a long time ago, when victory is 'in doubt?'

I'd tend to agree with the +/- folks. I know it's a matter of symantics, but I'd prefer to see 30+/- turns instead of 25+ turns, even if it turns out to be pretty much the same.

I think it adds a bit more uncertainty. Though, from a scenario design stand ponit, I can see how it would be nice to be able to assure at least 25 turns. I haven't seen the editor, but it would be nice to be able to call it a 30 turn battle and set a minimum number of turns at 25 and a max number at whatever (or no max, if you just want CM to decide). Dunno if it's feasible, but it seems cleaner to me.

Ben