In game stats

Hello everyone. I am a strategy game newbie in the truest sense, and Combat Mission is the first and only computer strategy game I've ever played (memories of the Squad Leader board game and scattered chits of my teen years notwithstanding). But this game has sucked me in and has taken over at least a few hours of my day every day.

I have a question regarding in-game stats, and if this is in manual and I have overlooked it, please forgive me. Is it possible to get a compilation of kills, similar to the AAR screen, while in-game? I have read quite a few AAR's on various sites and it seems that a manual count is the only way to do this.

Also, (I guess I had two questions, sorry) is it possible to see all the units on the map at the end of the game? I know that the various levels of fog-of-war includes a show-all setting, but if I am playing the game with the fog-of-war set at most realistic and the game ends with the AAR screen, is it possible to go back and see where the AI had things?

Both questions are more to accelerate my learning curve of a genre that I've been oblivious to until BTS released this awesome game and Col. Trotter of PCGamer gave it glowing praise. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Toran

"Combat Mission is the first and only computer strategy game I've ever played"

Hey! What a lucky guy! You hit in the bull's-eye with your first choice! :cool:

Seriously, I'm playing Tactic & Strategic computer games for years and now I'm sure I'll not play any other game than CM for many years ahead (exception: CM2, CM3, etc.)

Answering to your questions: No, there's no in-game stats, except for the morale and victory level you can see at the bottom of your screen.

And yes, it's possible to see all units once the battle ends. You only have to click in the "Map" button of the final stats screen and you can inspect all units from both sides (the dead and the alive ones). Right click on each unit and then on the "Kills" button to see the targets of that particular unit.

Only one note: the "Map" button only runs for abttles, not operations. Otherwise, you could know the strength of the enemy forces before the next battle.

And welcome to the CM world ... ;)

Thanks for the feedback - I've used the Info/Kills screen before but the Map function I wasn't aware of. I take it that a real battalion commander would not have hard numbers like this at his fingertips, either... Thanks again.

Also important to note that the information contained in the Info/Kills screen only shows kills that the unit is pretty sure it got. This number can be much lower than the actual number of kills caused - especially for long range/indirect fire units that are less likely to be able to see the consequences of their actions.

Oh, and welcome to CM. Enjoy. You didn't miss anything with those 'other' strategy games. . .

Yankee dog, you are totally right about the "pretty certain" aspect of indirect fire and long range units on kills. I just completed a QB w/ 228 casualties and 58 KIA. Most were inflicted via 81mm and 120 mm mortar fire on Ami infantry in a wooded area. After action report KIA for the 3 mortar teams was two.

This is an awesome game!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Also important to note that the information contained in the Info/Kills screen only shows kills that the unit is pretty sure it got. This number can be much lower than the actual number of kills caused - especially for long range/indirect fire units that are less likely to be able to see the consequences of their actions.

<hr></blockquote>

So there isn't any 'omniscient' button to push at the end of the game that says, "Here's the actual, real statistics"? I guess it is just a nit-picky thing to want actual stats, but the realism of the intel is a neat feature - less 'gamey'.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by toran29:

So there isn't any 'omniscient' button to push at the end of the game that says, "Here's the actual, real statistics"? I guess it is just a nit-picky thing to want actual stats, but the realism of the intel is a neat feature - less 'gamey'.<hr></blockquote>

Not really 'gamey' because you don't get the endgame information until, well, the end of the game. Many people, however, have clamored for 100% accurate information on unit kills and such in the Endgame map; i.e., If my FO killed 183 enemy soldiers during the game, but could only confirm killing 4, then during the game I should only see "4 kills" on the unit information screen; but after the game I should see "183 kills". The reason a lot of folks think that is important is so they can evaluate the effectiveness of various units and whether they were using the unit efficiently.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The reason a lot of folks think that is important is so they can evaluate the effectiveness of various units and whether they were using the unit efficiently.<hr></blockquote>

i just wanna see my bad-assed team stats.