Monster Tanks Retreating #2 And Steve's List of Why the Tac AI tells tanks to retreat

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

[...] the entire purpose of Shoot and Scoot. I'll explain it in more detail now...

1. The Tank Commander makes decision to do this maneuver.

2. Crew readies itself.

3. Driver drives in designated direction until TC says "HALT"!

4. As soon as the vehicle stops rocking from the halt, and the target is in the gunner's crosshairs, he fires.

5. As soon as the driver hears the main gun fire, he reverses to the predesignated location. He does NOT wait for the TC to give an order.

[...]

Steve

Now, to me this really sounds like the first movement type of the shoot and scoot command should behave like hunt, not fast. That way the driver would really stop as soon as a valid target comes into sight.

Dschugaschwili

edit: I just noticed that there's already a thread going on about this topic. Please discuss this there.

[ December 06, 2002, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Dschugaschwili ]

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

JdgPzr,

Cpt.Kloss,

Yes, the TacAI has other behaviors for preservation besides backing up. It can fire smoke and back up a tiny bit (most tanks don't have smoke candles or mortars), fire a Smoke round to blind a threat, drive faster if already on the move, drive forward into safer terrain, fire on the move (MUCH less so than CMBO), and probably a thing or two I forgot about.

Steve

----------------------------------------

Steve, please accept my apologies, I was wrong.

From a time this thread started I run a lot of armor - only games, just to further backup my opinnions. And perhaps it is due to a significant random seed - but results were not as I expected.

Very rarely a tank or TD reatreats without shooting while being on advantageous position

and even more rarely when rate of fire is similar(it appears to me that flanking is for TacAI much more advantageous than hull down and rate of fire is one of many, but VERY important factor).

I must also abandon my opinnion about russian crew's CMBB cowardice - indeed recently my broken green SU85 crew (after 2 penetrating hits form 2 Panthers)did retreat, but after destroying one.

The only claim I sustain is that numbers do affect unit's behaviour -even if for attacker it is not important (or he does not know) how many vehicles attack, for defender it IS important how many enemy vehicles it faces.

regards

Steve,

You are most welcome. We had a blast! And seriously, if you ever need some legwork at the museum, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll even bring a tape recorder. BTW, I'm still sticking to my plan to sample a different Belgian ale each visit to the taproom. Although the fact that Sierra Bigfoot has been flowing freely has necessitated the presence of a designated driver in the event of such samplings. That 10% alcohol content makes moderation a frustrating necessity.

Cpt. Kloss,

Good show, man. Showing some class by admitting your error.