Aberdeen Proving Grounds Open Again

Thanks to a nice guy at Aberdeen who saved my email from February, I got this in my mail today:

GOOD NEWS!

APG IS NOW ACCESSIBLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

You can now visit the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground. The Proving Ground has instituted a day pass for individuals that do not have military or U.S. Government I.D. The Museum will be open 7 days a week from 9:00am to 4:45 pm. We will be closed National Holidays except for Armed Forces, Memorial, Independence and Veterans Days.

The Day Pass will be issued only at the “Maryland Ave. Gate”. This gate is on Rt. 715. The Rt. 22 gate will not issue any passes. To get to the correct gate from I-95: Exit onto Rt. 22 going towards Aberdeen, Exit to Rt. 40 West (right turn), proceed on Rt. 40 through the city of Aberdeen to the exit for Aberdeen Proving Ground (Rt. 715 South). Proceed to the security gate, park in the visitors parking and go to the visitor center with your driver’s license and car registration. Tell the security personnel you are going to visit the Ordnance Museum. You will receive a Visitor’s Pass that will allow you to visit the museum only. You are not authorized to drive to other areas of APG. Proceed straight to the museum parking lot.

Just thought I'd pass this along to those of you in the north-east.

I've posted these links before, but there are lots of new members that may be interested in seeing some of the vehicles there. Some day I'll get a full website put together of all the pictures I took, including all the US tanks. Until then

Quicktime Panoramas At Aberdeen

Quicktime Object Movies of Aberdeen

You're only connecting to a 384k DSL line, so have patience with the download times. Sorry.

Actor,

For the panoramas I used both PhotoVista (Mac or Pc versions) and the stitching program that came with my Canon digital camera.

The 3D objects I made using Apple's Quicktime VR Studio. There are a number of programs out there to do this, just search for quicktime VR.

The best way to take any of the pictures for a panorama shot is with a good tripod with built in leveling and notches or measurements so you know how far to rotate the camera between shots. The cheap way is to stand and do your best tripod impersonation and rotate around the axis of the camera. That's what I did.

The 3D object movies aren't nearly as good as they should have been. Make sure you get a wide angle lens so you can see the whole barrel. To make a perfect object, the camera should be pointing to a hidden point in the center of the tank and have the camera rotate around the tank in equal increments always pointing to that central point. Also make sure you stay the same distance away from the tank if you can. I ended up taping a piece of thread to each tank and using the thread as my radius to walk around the vehicle/gun so I would keep a good approximate distance. The thing I later realized, was it is more important to get as much of the vehicle in the picture as possible instead of pointing to some magical center point.

If you have a digital camera and are really interested, let me know. Especially if someone is near the Kubinka museum, the Finnish one I see, Bovington or the Patton Museum. I'd love to see those grounds. If someone were willing to take the pictures with instructions, I'd be more than willing to spend the time stitching them all together for you. Please let me know.

Originally posted by karch:

...or the Patton Museum.

I was at the Patton Museum a few years ago. We were touring Louisville and the surrounding area and were going to hit the museum on the way south. We ran a little long at the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory (a must visit, by the way smile.gif ) and had to hustle to get to the Patton before it closed. The traffic out there can get pretty heavy, so don't do like we did and go in the late afternoon :( .

The museum isn't very large but most of it is indoors and the restoration work is excellent. Here is a link to the list of vehicles. As you can see, a lot of the vehicles are in storage, but can be seen by appointment.

Afterwards you can try to drive by the Gold Depository. We went there pre-9/11 so we were able to drive right past the entrance gate, but I don't know how things are now.

I have been to Aberdeen twice,it is very remarkable both the indoor museum and outdoor display.One of the more interesting vehicle's is the Pz.IV with the hydro=static transmission.Only one was built and they've got it.In fact it is in pan.22 of the shot's taken in the previous post it is the one with the rear final drive sprocket's.

[ November 07, 2002, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: kevsharr ]