*Spoiler?* Maastricht-Hard Tanker

I gotta say ah got mah fanny spanked!

Played as the Americans.

First time I seen an armored counterattack out of a fixed defense...OUCHIE!

ah needs some Preparation H now....

BTW Excellent scenario!!

me thinks ah needs to review tactics on assulting a defense like that!!

------------------

this is pathfinder's evil twin

Wow, this is my second scenario that I have played and I must say that I was left speechless. Thank you Wild Bill Wilder. I think. HeHe. The first time that I have played I got royaly mauled. But I liked it so much that I had to go for seconds. smile.gif

Second time around I have managed a Tactical victory. Sgt. Pool was his historical best. He bagged a Panther G, Jagdpanther, unidentified vehicle, gun and 3 infantry.

In this game I have finaly learned how to properly go hull down thanks to a Priest that managed to kill a halftrack, pz. IVH, and a Stug42. The behavior of this Priest was incredible. Move up into hull down, fire and immediataly back down into cover to reload. It was behaving just like tanks in Steel Beast simulation. One question WBW. In this scenario, you are supposed to get points for exiting units. What happens when Germans surrender on turn 20, and I didn't exit my units yet, but obviously would be able to by turn 25? Do I still get those points or not?

Thank you,

Paul

Hey Paul, nice verbal recreation of the fight biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing.

As to the question, I think they have to exit to get points. Of course, if you have eliminated the enemy, then the way is open and it would seem logical that you could get bonus points. Still, the time frame applies I suppose.

The life of a commander is hard in this Theater of War wink.gif

Thanks again....Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if someone could help explain what happens in this scenario. I count 4 flags not 2!

As the US I can bag the tanks with only a Stuart lost. I can get most of the equipment down my far right flank. But I got no time to get out. The AT pillbox guards the centre flag so I figure in 25 moves why bother -- just leave it. I'm reaching for the end of map right flank flag but it becomes a foot race not a battle. My first play I fake the computer and the tanks came up the Axis right flank --toast they were but I only got 3/4 towards my objective (because of my sneaking around) and I lost. So I try again with no sneaks and only running. This time the Axis tanks crest in the middle - still toast they are in a complete crossfire but I still can't run down that map fast enough. With 2 more turns I could pop that Jagd at the end and line up behind the pillbox for a pop at it but there ain't no time!

Rolling up my left flank seems like a fun thing to try but there ain't no time!

Help!

Heh, what I think is that sometimes a commander at the field does not have the luxury of time. You either sneak, flank and lose valuable time and miss your objective within the timelimits given to you... Or you take the enemy head on, the hard way, and fight through the defences. You will maybe lose half your force, but you made the attack when you were supposed to.

Hence, timelimits.

So, rush faster!

(or then the scen wasn't ment to be played as the allies at all)

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Ligur ]</p>

"Not enough time, not enough hardware, not enough manpower..." these are common complaints of the battlefield commander.

How many times has a Patton or a Rommel told his subordinates, "You are falling behind. You need to move forward now. No excuses. Do it now!"?

To recreate that type of pressure, about the only way a designer can do that is with a limited time frame.

This causes the human player, even though he may have strong forces, to take chances, to make some opportunistic choices and hope they turn in his favor.

It also, when playing a game, makes you sweat, swear, and sometimes sulk ;) .

It does create a certain amount of frustration and that too is often the lot of a dedicated and skillful commander. "If I just had more time..."

Wild Bill

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

"Not enough time, not enough hardware, not enough manpower..." these are common complaints of the battlefield commander.

Wild Bill<hr></blockquote>

What's that quote from Napoleon to his Generals? Something like: 'Ask me for anything, except time'

I only played this once--as Allies against the AI. I got royally clobbered. I might be able to win on a second go round. It seems like the best strategy is to advance your entire force up the right flank. But it would be hard to know that was the way to go the first time out.

Has anybody managed to win this the first time they played it? Did you figure out the need to concentrate on the right? If so, how? Or did some other strategy work for you?

Nice of you to reply Bill -- just to reassure I find there is always an educational point in your scenarios and I practise them. You're F&M I've practised ad naseum -- I mention it in that this is somewhat similar in the always moving theme. Well actually F&M is at first a snail then a rush.

The right side rush is exactly what I did in Masstricht. To me it seemed obvious in that by rushing the right side you follow and are protected by the ridge --my idea was to keep folding my left flank into a forward right (while controlling my side of the ridge) and keep moving and smash heavy. It worked like a dream except for the time - so in that sense it was the wrong way to go.

I sent a Stuart down the road on my far left flank to gain that bit of LOS to the middle from that side. I stationed two 76ers (both Reg's, one with 3 tungsten) as my left flank anchor (they had LOS to the AI's right flank flag. I figured they would slow down any flanking from that side. I kept Sgt. Poole on the hill at my back far right flank (covering the middle ridge) -- he got capped by turn 2 - sorry Sarge! Partially my slowness was a caution of arousing the Arty but I was careful to keep control of my side of the ridge so there wasn't any peeking and thus the AI had no clue.

Here's my score roughly. I lost the one Stuart on my left flank and a greyhound to the frist gun--at most 20 causalties with 4 KIA. The AI lost all but two tanks, both guns - 54 casualties and maybe 14 KIA. I controlled the entire ridge above the flags with goodly load of arty. But no flags. Final score 13 me and 87 AI.

Now if I were to report this scenario back to headquarters -- "They've got nothing left sir and we are fully intact should I take the objectives or move on?"

Rather than "Objectives taken sir, we got one tank in working order and one platoon that still feels like fighting. I don't think we're going anywhere, sir."

Not being military but certainly assertative I would say

"I stand by my decisions sir! They may think those flags are theirs but that's only because of ignorance"

Thanx guys -- I'm having fun