Killing T-34s from front at 736m with HE?

To be fair, this was HE from an 88, but I still wondered if this was fair or if the AI might not have realised it was firing HE...

I was playing Katutov strikes back, as the Germans. The AI didn't stand a chance. Two 88s took out 6 T-34s each at 800-1000m...

guys, don't forget that :

1- HE penetration is MUCH less impacted by range and armor slope that AP

2- Penetrating HE is MORE lethal than pen AP due to it being ...explosive

3- Look at the charts :D !

88L56 HE at 1000m penetrates 80mm@0°,67mm@30°, 47mm@60° ! That's more than enough for a T34, only few unlucky front turret shots on late models do NOT penetrate ... :eek:

It's in fact a very sensible choice for a 88 to fire HE at such "badly armored" targets ! :D

The 88 has at least two different HE shells in the game and one of them has a VERY good AP potential. Basically it's almost an AP shell with a large HE burster. Much more lethal than solid AP once it's through the armor. That's probably what KO'd your T34.

88 shell types and penetration tables were thoroughly discussed during the Beta. I wish I had specifics at my fingertips, it was the kind'a info where you say "Damn, BFC is thorough!" Maybe someone else (Rexford?) can recall the info.

[ December 05, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

what I was most impressed with was that the king tiger had only about 4 HE rounds left and took out the T-34s....

Then again it was a crack crew....but still

I was nevertheless impressed...it didn't

help that the king tiger, despite dispatching

large amounts of infantry, 10 or 11 tanks and a few other AFVs was now completely out of big-gun ammo with 5 T-34/85's just entering the map

(I've never set my half tracks to run as fast as

they did but I will tell you that against regular T-34's they have a chance of making it away if they are more than 1200 m away...a chance...

It would be good if there were some way to find out the armour piercing capabilities of alternative munitions of each weapon. Not just the AP shot but the HE shot and the tungsten rounds as well, for example.

Will guns fire HE at armoured targets if they have AP left if their HE still has a good chance of destroying the target?

Does the "to kill" info given for a weapon relate to the type of ammo that the weapon would normally fire at it (AP in the case of the 88) or the type that it now has (in the case of an 88 without any AP left)?

Originally posted by derb:

Does the "to kill" info given for a weapon relate to the type of ammo that the weapon would normally fire at it (AP in the case of the 88) or the type that it now has (in the case of an 88 without any AP left)?

OK then.......

Thats a good question :confused: ??

-tom w

Originally posted by derb:

It would be good if there were some way to find out the armour piercing capabilities of alternative munitions of each weapon. Not just the AP shot but the HE shot and the tungsten rounds as well, for example.

Well you could look it up during the gmae!!

Select a unit, press "enter", and voila - you will see the penetratino tables for all types of ammo, including HE!

Will guns fire HE at armoured targets if they have AP left if their HE still has a good chance of destroying the target?

Yes.

I recently had a T35/85 take out a half-track with HE - it had 30 or 40 HE rounds, 8 AP and 5 or 6 T - I figured it was saving the AP ammo for a situation when it was more useful.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it uses whatever is going to be the most lethal.