Bridgehead at Benicourt

If you want a nailbiting two-player scenario, try Bridgehead at Benicourt. It is much better if neither player has seen the scenario before. The scenario is characterized by wide swings of the initiative along with concordant swings of mood from the highest elation to the darkest despair.Every time one feels that he has finally wrenched the initiative, he is sandbagged in the head and becomes convinced that he is dead meat, only to miraculously find a few moves later that if only...

This is one of the best designed scenarios I have played, and Wild Bill must be commended for the diabolical setups and timing of reinforcements in this battle not recommended for those with weak hearts...

Henri

Let me 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the first post. The AI Germans kicked my tail the first go around. Everytime I thought I'd built up some momemtum and figured the Germans were on their last gasp of forces, I'd get smacked with an unpleasant surprise. I got so wrapped up on this first battle that I just had to play the Americans again to get revenge on the AI, even if it meant that I knew a lot more the second time around. A highly recommended scenario, although as I told Wild Bill in an email, I'm not sure how an American player would fare against a human German opponent.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BK6583:

A highly recommended scenario, although as I told Wild Bill in an email, I'm not sure how an American player would fare against a human German opponent.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, my game is a TCPIP game not yet over, but a couple of moves ago, the Americans definitely had the edge. At this time, it is uncertain who is winning, because I am unsure of how many and which kinds of units the American player has.Although I have not played the Americans and my game with the Germans is incomplete, it is my impression that the US initially has a slight edge (until he gets over-confident...), but the US may be slightly more difficult to play since he is on the attack against an inferior but well-entrenched enemy.

I intend to post an AAR (with spoilers) once the game is over (now where is my opponent?...).

Henri

Let me add my kudos. I opened up 3 PBEM's of this scenario. a mirrored game and a second game as the Germans. My second game as the Germans is over and my mirrored match has a couple of turns to go. The 1st game ended in a draw and the other two are in draw status though there will be a victory in at least one of those I believe. The balance is very good plus the scenario develops extremely well due to the fine unit choices and careful terrain considerations of Wild Bill. This is my favorite so far and Henri you should give it another go as the other side for a whole different flavor.Part of my delight has been wathing all three battles unfold somewhat differently yet still seeing very close results. Wild Bill this is an all around winner.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to chime in and agree with all the posts above. I played the scenario double blind PBEM. I'm waiting for the final score now, but I'm almost sure it will be a draw. Human vs. human play is well balanced. Lot's of surprises for the Allied player. Thanks Wild Bill!

Treeburst 155

WBW, sorry to tell you that 7 (real) hours before your post, Allied FB just smashed my 1st reinforcements and knocked out almost all AFVs in a pass. frown.gif

It hurts and I think I can hurt Allied harder! Eeeeeeeeeeee!

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"