Listing of Soviet "Fronts"

I have yet to locate a comprehensive listing of the names and dates of existence of the Soviet Fronts. Does such a listing exist anywhere on line, or can anyone reproduce such a list? I am under the impression that the Fronts (equivalent to the German Army Group) were named after military districts in 1941 and changed over time just as the names of German Army Groups changed, to reflect territorial location.

I've scanned an old table I made of the development of Soviet fronts during the war, grouped by year and month. In the Dec 43 column the liines with two names separated by a slash indicate that a given front underwent a redesignation. Some of the names have pencilled links to other fronts, showing how they were redesignated over time. There's a lot of pencilling on this sheet, because I was designing a wargame at the time that covered the Russian front at the strategic level. I was trying to figure out a way to feature maskirovka into the game, but it went on the wayside. If you have questions, feel free to ask smile.gif

Here's the link: (beware 500+kb)

Ok, my first question. You list Western Front as existing in June 41, disappears in Sep, Reappears in Dec 41. Did it really disband bewteen Sep and Dec 41 or is this merely an oversight? Briansk front similarly disappears in Dec 41 but is present in Sep 41 and Apr 42 lists.

I also don't see a creation date for the Steppe Front - do you know it? I take it dates in brackets refer to creation dates?

[ August 21, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Ok, my first question. You list Western Front as existing in June 41, disappears in Sep, Reappears in Dec 41. Did it really disband bewteen Sep and Dec 41 or is this merely an oversight? Briansk front similarly disappears in Dec 41 but is present in Sep 41 and Apr 42 lists.

I also don't see a creation date for the Steppe Front - do you know it? I take it dates in brackets refer to creation dates?

The Western and Briansk Fronts were dissolved/withdrawn to be rebuilt due to heavy losses. The Steppe Front has an arrow pointing to it, originating from the Stalingrad Front. So, some time in Apr-Jun 43 the Stalingrad Front was redesignated the Steppe Front.

Michael,

A few corrections:</font>

• Oct 42 - Voronezh Front missing.</font>
  • Dec 42 - a nitpick, but Central Front was originally Don Front. Might want to place Central Front underneath it on the table. But, a nitpick, really.</font>
  • Oct 44 - 3rd Baltic Front missing.</font>
  • Apr 45 - 4th Ukrainian Front missing.</font>

Very comprehensive site, btw. Well done smile.gif Incidently, 1942 was an important time for the Soviet partisan movement. Soviet military and political forces successfully centralized control of the most significant groups in occupied Russia and the Ukraine. This allowed for better overall coordination with operations. The transfer of supplies and personnel across the line by air was also well in place by then. Aircraft primarily used were Po-2s, but even Li-2s were used at times. The little Po-2 was particularly effective, being a small bi-plane.

Michael,

I forgot to mention that after 1941, the partisans should not be seen as isolated forces with poor communications with the Red Army. By 1942, partisan commanders were being flown out and over to the Kremlin to be briefed on developments or debriefed on whatever matters were important. Also, specially trained cadres were being flown into occupied territory to improve training and leadership. Same goes for signal and demolitions technicians. It wasn't that unusual for an NKVD or military officer to do a 'tour' in occupied Russia, get flown out after a time, then return to normal duty at the frontlines in a regular unit.

The two greatest effects Soviet partisans had in the war was diversionary activity (sabotage, mainly) and intelligence.

[ August 21, 2002, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]