Brittle? Who said the infantry was BRITTLE?

I have to say, some people on this forum scared the hell out of me before I received the game. I thought the infantry was going to be as brittle as Waterford crystal.

I have to say, they seem anything but brittle to me. Maybe I'm just coming from a different experience (because I never played CMBO), but the infantry seems even less brittle than in any Close Combat I've played.

Yeah, they break occasionally (under conditions which seem absolutely believable), but a HQ unit sent over whips them into shape pretty fast, and they recover without the HQ in a few turns anyways (assuming you solved the "problem" that caused them to break). This seems pretty realistic to me.

True, I use covering fire a LOT, and I always send two platoons to do a job, in case one goes down (saved an entire QB for me recently, when one PZG platoon got taken out by a tank shot, but the second got the tank), but isn't this what I'm SUPPOSED to do as the commander?

Are they a LOT braver in CMBO or something? Because I don't have any problem sending these guys into *hand-to-hand* range with enemy platoons, and they still do it. And these are regular troops.

They were braver in CM:BO, that's true. What's also important, though, is that the suppressing ability of machine guns, and the effectiveness of machine guns to hit multiple targets at the same time, has been included in CM:BB, where it wasn't in CM:BO.

One scenario I put together in CM:BO forced the American player to push his troops across largely open terrain with some scattered trees towards a long ridge, atop which were some MG bunkers. THe MG bunkers barely slowed the troops down.

I have redesigned the scenario for CM:BB and unless tanks disable the bunkers or they are covered by smoke, the infantry barely move at all.

They are/were alot braver in CMBO

AND MG and HMG fire it not really scare them that much. NOW in CMBB MG's and HMG's really mean business.

Some folks here who played CMBO became accustomed to infantry that were more like super heroes sometimes (not always but they were brave alright smile.gif )

CMBB feels (If I can say that?? :confused: ) more realistic to me, I really don't know what more realistic in a WWII combat situation means so I will leave that to those who have actual combat experience and I'm happy to take their word for it.

-tom w

Originally posted by Terrapin:

I have to say, some people on this forum scared the hell out of me before I received the game. I thought the infantry was going to be as brittle as Waterford crystal.

I have to say, they seem anything but brittle to me. Maybe I'm just coming from a different experience (because I never played CMBO

and there's your answer.

How about this? In recent PBEM-game (CMBB), my regular Soviet infantry squad, which had already taken 3 casualties, was advancing (under the order) in snowy scattered woods towards possible German infantry squad (generic marker). When it was 24 meters close, the German squad turned out to be a flamethrower team, which immeditially fired upon my poor comrades. My lads hit the ground and....got themselves up, while hosed with fire, and eliminated the flamethrower team! And took no casualties! :eek:

[ December 04, 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Keke ]