Hold fire command?

If i want to position my troops to the edje of a forest line, then hide, this works fine.

However IF they see an enemey before they reach the forest line, and therefor have not excuted the HIDE command, they will open fire.

How can i have my troops keep their trap shut during movement? To hold fire until i want them to open fire.

Thanks,

Well according to the 18 page demo document, the sneak order initiates a "high rating for enemy engagement", which means they will be looking for targets to fire upon.

They really shoud seperate movement and rules of engagement in this game, have them 2 seperate settings, instead of combined into one.

CM's hell for the micro-management types.

Your little troops do seem to have a mind of their own sometimes (especially after having liberated a virtual vineyard's wine cellar one town over the night before!).

Good generalship in CM seems to be less a matter of forcing your men to do what you want and more a matter of figuring out what they're likely to do then planning accordingly. Best to send scouts out to locate the enemy, then have your main force give the enemy a WIDE berth while on the move. IMHO, Infantry seems to be least likely to shoot back if they're on the RUN... but are likely to be too exhaused to fight once they reach their destination.

Originally posted by 007 Commander:

Well according to the 18 page demo document, the sneak order initiates a "high rating for enemy engagement", which means they will be looking for targets to fire upon.

Never-the-less, sneaking troops will hold their fire unless fired upon (depending on quality of troops and proximity of badguys). I have even seen opposing troops sneak right past one another (which wasn't what I wanted).

Originally posted by 007 Commander:

Not so. Units using the sneak command will do everything possible not to reveal themselves. They will only fire if first fired upon. In fact, I've had opposing squads sneak up to each other and walk past without a shot being fired, even though they were less than 10 meters apart.